Thread: 5 - 14

5 - 14

There it is friends. THAT is our record since mid-May.

The players insisted that the 3-9 start was an aberration... that it was early... & that things would get better.

Somebody once said... you're only as good as your record says you are.

Our record since mid-May is 5-14. (And that does not include the 3-9 start). Pathetic.

Somebody owes me an apology. I actually had some guys on this site who accused me of being warped or crazy when I predicted a 76-86 record. Turns out, I was optimistic. This needs to be blown up right after Moe & Gumpy are shown the door. Embarrassing to those of us who remember real Cardinal Baseball.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

This is hard to watch. Unfortunately, we're simply watching the caliber of team many cities have watched for decades at a time.

Four scant years ago, other teams fans hated us and the organization was being written up in all kinds of magazines as the best in sports. The Cardinals aren't a laughingstock yet but to fans like us who aren't just casual, they are a horrid group to root for.

And we all have serious doubts as to the desire and the urgency the higher-ups possess to turn it around.

QuoteOriginally Posted by 85cards View Post
    And we all have serious doubts as to the desire and the urgency the higher-ups possess to turn it around.
    I don't know how anyone with an ounce of objectivity can watch the recent track record of this team & the reactions of management could possibly question the desires of the higher ups.

At the end of last season we were told that our current manager was doing a good job... that the GM would walk the plank for him & that we should be glad to have him.

Over the off-season, we were told that the same old bunch of mediocre players would provide improved athleticism & defense in 2017. You'll be impressed.

Breaking training camp, we were assured that the GM was very satisfied with this group.

Up till now, this season we've been told that "things will improve", be patient.

Now we're being told that we're looking for help but, that no teams are willing to part with significant talent, be patient.

Here's what's about to be said...

We've got to be within reach of the Cubs by Aug 1st (lol; forced straight face) or we can't justify giving up promising young players for a big bat who still won't get us into the post-season. So, in reality... the higher-ups don't intend to put a competitive team on the field, they don't care about fundamental baseball & they don't care about a 12th championship for the Cards. They care about making money... off of the fans. They secretly hope the Cubs stay near .500 so that fans keep coming to the ballpark but, they don't intend to improve the on-field product.

They intend to KEEP the clueless manager.
    They intend to KEEP the inept coaching staff (specifically: Mabry, Marmol, Bell, Maloney...)
    They intend to KEEP the GM because... because... I don't know why...!
    They intend to KEEP players who run bases poorly, field poorly, hit with RISP poorly, throw to the wrong base, just finds ways to play like the Cubs of yesteryear...!
    They (the higher-ups) intend to milk this team until the (cash) cow is dry.

76-86... yeah, right...!

Some facts:

we are 2nd in the NL in attendance.

our top 3 position players in WAR were not on the opening day lineup card.

Sheeple need to stop showing up. Stop watching on TV.

Our best players need to play like it; and our manager needs to put our best lineup on the field.

QuoteOriginally Posted by The Hawk View Post
    I actually had some guys on this site who accused me of being warped or crazy when I predicted a 76-86 record.
    You actually were being generous.

Whitey always said that if Ken Boyer, as Card's manager, in 1980, had decent relief pitching, especially a lock down closer.....that he'd never have gotten the Card's job because Boyer would never have been fired. He also said nothing tears up a clubhouse like a team that can't hold a lead in the later innings......

I wonder how many times they held a lead in those 14 losses. I'd bet it's more than half.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Sonicblast12 View Post
    I wonder how many times they held a lead in those 14 losses. I'd bet it's more than half.
    9 of 14 and each of the last 5 losses.

They never trailed in any of the 5 wins.

Nothing more disheartening to a team...or fan base... than blowing lead after lead.......

QuoteOriginally Posted by RHinSD View Post
    Whitey always said that if Ken Boyer, as Card's manager, in 1980, had decent relief pitching, especially a lock down closer.....that he'd never have gotten the Card's job because Boyer would never have been fired. He also said nothing tears up a clubhouse like a team that can't hold a lead in the later innings......
    This is so stupid as to defy imagination.

Boyer's team could actually hit the baseball. This team has no margin for error.

Good news...
    While dropping to 5-15 over this recent stretch... at least we didn't blow a lead tonight.

Not yet. I think we've got this one.

Sonic; You're a better man than I. I'm having trouble maintaining a sense of humor about this team.

Sometimes you've got to look at the sunny side of life. At least they didn't give up 5 home runs to a guy named Scooter.

Since they were not at home beer sales did not suffer.

QuoteOriginally Posted by John D View Post
    This is so stupid as to defy imagination.

Boyer's team could actually hit the baseball. This team has no margin for error.
    You know the Doof rule. If you refute something then the opposite MUST be true....

QuoteOriginally Posted by RHinSD View Post
    You know the Doof rule. If you refute something then the opposite MUST be true....
    Sure thing asswipe. This team is head and shoulders above the 1980 Cardinals at the plate.

Just too stupid. It defies words.

5 & 17...

There it is friends. THAT is our record since mid-May. The players insisted that the 3-9 start was an aberration... that it was early... & that things would get better. Somebody once said... you're only as good as your record says you are.

Our record since mid-May is 5-17. (And that does not include a 3-9 start). Pathetic. Just pathetic. If (when) we lose tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see if the team hears any "boos" come Friday evening.

I wish I had a boss who would have settled for such poor production. If my work production had mirrored Moe's or Mike's... I would have found myself in the unemployment line.

QuoteOriginally Posted by John D View Post
    This team is head and shoulders above the 1980 Cardinals at the plate.

Really? This 2017 bunch is better than Simmons, Hernandez, Templeton, Bonds, Herr, Kennedy, Hendrick, Iorg, Reitz, and Obefkfell....?

DANG.....you dumb!!!!!

Too drunk to read, eh boss?

I see Matt Adams went yard and drove in two last night. Just saying.

QuoteOriginally Posted by STJOMO View Post
    JOMO,

I may have been wrong.

The talent evaluation might be ok.... it's the inability to coach up young players that's deadly.

Either way.....

The Dynamic Duo need to be shown the door.

The absolute instant he got away from John Mabry he went back to hitting the ball like he did when he was in the minors and immediately upon his arrival. Before those spring training sessions where they were trying to get him to drive the ball into LF to 'beat the shift'...

I do love this club's insistence on changing the core of what got a player to the major leagues to begin with. Good thinkin' lads...

In fairness, he hit it off an infielder.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Speedy G View Post
    In fairness, he hit it off an infielder.
    He'd have grounded to SS off that same infielder if he were still here.

Gotta get those oppo reps in...