Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: do we need a thread to discuss these woeful bastards on 20170605?

QuoteOriginally Posted by Oz-iz-God View Post
    Just saw that Fowler play.

Y'know, Dex...you could try RUNNING after a ball. That's totally legal.

I really REALLY hate that guy. He's my new Tino.
    He's in cruise mode on every play. Gotta time it so it looks harder than it is. So I guess he fits right in with the rest of the team.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

Look at DeJong out there, giving a shit. They haven't broken him yet.

On the flip side of hating almost everything about this team...I'm enjoying watching DeJong play.

Who's the Red's closer? Nevermind that doesn't matter. It could be Aaron Miles and they'd go 1-2-3.

QuoteOriginally Posted by rollo58 View Post
    I am going to the Phillies game Saturday afternoon - I am looking forward to Charlie Gito's more than the game
    Then go straight to Gito's. I doubt these Birds can handle the Phils.

Dexy's Mid-game Blunders. That's some really good stuff

There's really no excuse not to fire the whole damn coaching staff at this point.

QuoteOriginally Posted by John D View Post
    Cardinals deserve to lose this one.

But, the Reds may be worse.
    That's cute. Of course they're not.

How does every reliever throw 100 now. Wtf.

Man they sure went out with a fight. No quit in this bunch.

Pham had a good at bat

Even Card's Talk looks unhappy.

The ticket prices on StubHub reflect reality

Yadi seemed sooooo really really fired up when playing for his country in the offseason. I was really expecting that spark to translate to this year. Fowler came off a World Series Win and was expecting him to put up similar numbers he did before he got a big contract. Gyorko might be a bit distracted because of a new baby. Piscotty has a mother with a horrible disease. Carpenter is adjusting to not being in the lead off spot (?). Pham is doing his best and better than I was expecting for a guy with eye issues. DeJong is a rookie, but Garcia never plays because he is a great pinch hitter. Diaz is an enigma. Jose Martinez was hot early but seems to be this year's Hazelbaker. Wong is Wong and it seems like he had his head better this year before being injured. Peralta just hurts the team (0 doubles, 0 triples, 0 home runs). Sierra is a rookie but the energy he provided during our winning streak seems to have been squashed.

Our starters have kept us in the game with Waino being lame early and Wacha being lame now. Bullpen has never been great and Seigrest seems to be less of a sure thing than before. Bowman is having problems and one wonders if the league has figured him out. The whole bullpen is above 3.00 besides the two candidates for closer.

Good players make plays. The Cardinals don't have enough good players

Too many failure's to execute fundamental plays and no "real" cleanup man to get that big hit a failure of Moz and Dewitt. The pitching we have should have us well over 500 at this time but eventually it will start to slide not to mention Mike is a piss poor manager.

At least Waino will be in the lineup tomorrow. He should probably bat third. Might also be better off hitting Leake leadoff and CMart in the two hole.

QuoteOriginally Posted by TommyHerr28 View Post
    At least Waino will be in the lineup tomorrow. He should probably bat third. Might also be better off hitting Leake leadoff and CMart in the two hole.
    bingo

If Gump had a sack he'd embarrass his offense enough to bat Waino third. If Gump had any brains he'd have put Carp leadoff by now. I used to think Carp is a head case because he can't bat anywhere but leadoff. But then today I was watching one of my salesman handle a situation the way I "coached" him. He failed miserably, he's a good salesman but I asked him to do something he's not capable of. Carpenter isn't capable of hitting like a 2-3-4 hitter. He's not wired that way. I still have some belief this offense can produce better. We aren't using our OBP potential....re-wire the batting order Gump! Damnit, what do you have to lose? If $owler complains for batting second or ninth just hand the previous days box score with his batting average highlighted along with a copy of his most recent check
    Stub.

QuoteOriginally Posted by stuckinla View Post
    I check in almost daily, but try to (mostly) keep my opinions to myself. How are you?
    Status quo. (but pronounce it as state us)

QuoteOriginally Posted by Goombah! View Post
    If Gump had a sack he'd embarrass his offense enough to bat Waino third. If Gump had any brains he'd have put Carp leadoff by now. I used to think Carp is a head case because he can't bat anywhere but leadoff. But then today I was watching one of my salesman handle a situation the way I "coached" him. He failed miserably, he's a good salesman but I asked him to do something he's not capable of. Carpenter isn't capable of hitting like a 2-3-4 hitter. He's not wired that way. I still have some belief this offense can produce better. We aren't using our OBP potential....re-wire the batting order Gump! Damnit, what do you have to lose? If $owler complains for batting second or ninth just hand the previous days box score with his batting average highlighted along with a copy of his most recent check
    Stub.
    Putting Carp back in the leadoff role makes too much sense. If you're so inclined to keep Fowler near the top at 2nd just to see if it works fine. But Carp needs to be in the leadoff spot where he's thrived. anywhere else he's been put has been pretty much a disaster.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Redbirdfan1 View Post
    Putting Carp back in the leadoff role makes too much sense. If you're so inclined to keep Fowler near the top at 2nd just to see if it works fine. But Carp needs to be in the leadoff spot where he's thrived. anywhere else he's been put has been pretty much a disaster.
    It needs to happen. There is no downside. It is stupid that it hasn't happened yet, given Carpenter's struggles and Fowler's poor OBP.

Move Carpenter to leadoff. Send Wacha to the bullpen in favor of Weaver or Marco or Lyons. Release Peralta (and his apparent reluctance to play 1B, lol) when Wong returns.

And find a new 3B coach. Good lord, what is it going to take for that to happen?

QuoteOriginally Posted by Speedy G View Post
    ...Good lord, what is it going to take for that to happen?

First thing that has to happen is that Moe needs to admit that the team sucks & that he's no longer happy with it. Otherwise... NOTHING changes.

QuoteOriginally Posted by The Hawk View Post
    First thing that has to happen is that Moe needs to admit that the team sucks & that he's no longer happy with it. Otherwise... NOTHING changes.
    This org is far too PC to actually say anything negative out loud. From here on, actions are the only language which will speak loud enough for us to hear. Don't cease exchanging oxygen for CO2.
    Last edited by 85cards; 06-06-2017 at 11:54 AM.

It needs to happen. There is no downside. It is stupid that it hasn't happened yet, given Carpenter's struggles and Fowler's poor OBP.

Move Carpenter to leadoff. Send Wacha to the bullpen in favor of Weaver or Marco or Lyons. Release Peralta (and his apparent reluctance to play 1B, lol) when Wong returns.

And find a new 3B coach. Good lord, what is it going to take for that to happen?
    I have been bitching about this for weeks it is obvious to the most folks who follow the club trying to find the right combo's is a managers job but he is a stubborn stupid dickhead.

I can agree with all of that. In fact I want to see Lyons in the rotation. I like the guy. Probably more than most.

sad that this seems to be where Wacha is heading but he could be a stud down there.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Redbirdfan1 View Post
    I can agree with all of that. In fact I want to see Lyons in the rotation. I like the guy. Probably more than most.

sad that this seems to be where Wacha is heading but he could be a stud down there.
    Starting pitching has been a strength and relief pitching has been a weakness. Wacha has struggled and has a history of breaking down. I can't help but look at him and think John Smoltz.

There is no way MM is going to find work for 3 lefty relievers, and you don't need a long man on a 13 man staff. You can give Lyons a start or DL Siegrist. Siegrist's and Cecil's numbers are eerily similar:

Siegrist - 4.79 ERA, 24 G, 20.2 IP, 22 H, 11 R, 11 ER, 3 HR, 13 BB, 21 K, 1.694 WHIP
    Cecil ---- 4.05 ERA, 28 G, 20.0 IP, 22 H, 11 R, 9 ER, 3 HR, 10 BB, 21 K, 1.600 WHIP

QuoteOriginally Posted by Sonicblast12 View Post
    He's in cruise mode on every play. Gotta time it so it looks harder than it is. So I guess he fits right in with the rest of the team.
    75% catch probability according to gamecast. He had four seconds to cover 18 yards. Considering 300 lb linemen cover 40 yards in 5.5 seconds, that seems pretty easy for a center fielder.

It wasn't nearly as difficult as he made it look.

I could see Wacha being a shutdown reliever as long as they keep him in the role. None of this yo yo nonsense. He clearly can't physically handle the rigors of SP. He's still popping 97 after 90 pitches, so his velocity might even play up in the pen. He gets tired and starts leaving everything up.

I could see Wacha being a shutdown reliever as long as they keep him in the role. None of this yo yo nonsense. He clearly can't physically handle the rigors of SP. He's still popping 97 after 90 pitches, so his velocity might even play up in the pen. He gets tired and starts leaving everything up.
    It could work IF someone steps in and demands that Gump use "either" Rosenthal or Wacha every other day - but not both in the same game.

The real issue is how often Forrest would dry hump him, as he's done with Maness, Siegrist, Mujica, etc.

75% catch probability according to gamecast. He had four seconds to cover 18 yards. Considering 300 lb linemen cover 40 yards in 5.5 seconds, that seems pretty easy for a center fielder.

It wasn't nearly as difficult as he made it look.
    He won't even get behind fly balls on tag plays, he'll catch it flat footed and flip it to the cutoff man.

If don't know if he's really as slow as he appears, or if he just never hustles, but I sure expected him to be a lot faster than this.

He won't even get behind fly balls on tag plays, he'll catch it flat footed and flip it to the cutoff man.

If don't know if he's really as slow as he appears, or if he just never hustles, but I sure expected him to be a lot faster than this.
    I think it's the latter. There's no way he's that slow. he just looked like he was coasting to the ball.

And of course he got defensive about it, because why not? His manager's never been able to handle criticism so why should Dexter have to deal with that shit?

It's gonna be a loooooooong 5 years....

I think it's the latter. There's no way he's that slow. he just looked like he was coasting to the ball.

And of course he got defensive about it, because why not? His manager's never been able to handle criticism so why should Dexter have to deal with that shit?

Move his ass to left field bat him second or sixth.

But he might get his feelings hurt! Heaven forbid they try to light a fire under someone.
    Last edited by Sonicblast12; 06-06-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Grichuk catches that ball fairly easily, IMO.

But Grichuk is in A ball because he isn't Tony Gwynn.

How's Matt Adams doing now? Out of baseball, right?

How's Matt Adams doing now? Out of baseball, right?
    Are you saying that perhaps our player development staff isn't giving our young hitters the best quality instruction they could possibly be getting?

That seems unlikely. Afterall, Mike Matheny is dreamy.

Maybe Grichuk banged someone's wife.

He's going to end up getting boooed.

And, then Bung Hole will lecture us about how St. Louis is "racist"

Maybe Grichuk banged someone's wife.
    He aint no Dustin Johnson

Are you saying that perhaps our player development staff isn't giving our young hitters the best quality instruction they could possibly be getting?

That seems unlikely. Afterall, Mike Matheny is dreamy.
    I'm sure there is some serious coaching going on behind those vacant stares.

I'm sure there is some serious coaching going on behind those vacant stares.
    That jawline, though...

{swoon}

That jawline, though...

{swoon}
    Wife, about Grichuk: "He's cute."

Me: "Who cares, he doesn't have any strike zone judgement and he'll swing at any crap that's thrown up there. They keep moving him around the lineup and he has no idea what his role is. It's bullshit, they expect him to be a superstar but won't give him chances to succeed. He just needs to sit fastball and let it rip, but he won't because he's all screwed up. Watch, watch, he'll strike out. *Grichuk lines a slider to left field for a double* That's bullshit he shouldn't even have swung at that because his next at bat he's going to be looking slider and will get a fastball and he's playing away from his strength."

Her:

Me:

Her: "Who's that pitcher named, Matt....Holliday? When does he pitch?"

Me: *impatient sigh*

Her: "Can you watch the game on your iPad, I want to watch Supernatural."

Wife, about Grichuk: "He's cute."

Me: "Who cares, he doesn't have any strike zone judgement and he'll swing at any crap that's thrown up there. They keep moving him around the lineup and he has no idea what his role is. It's bullshit, they expect him to be a superstar but won't give him chances to succeed. He just needs to sit fastball and let it rip, but he won't because he's all screwed up. Watch, watch, he'll strike out. *Grichuk lines a slider to left field for a double* That's bullshit he shouldn't even have swung at that because his next at bat he's going to be looking slider and will get a fastball and he's playing away from his strength."

Her:

Me:

Her: "Who's that pitcher named, Matt....Holliday? When does he pitch?"

Me: *impatient sigh*

Her: "Can you watch the game on your iPad, I want to watch Supernatural."
    I get tossed for "The Amazing Race" on occasion but also on occasion will be forced to watch this ****ing baseball team because my wife wants to and I'd rather be watching re-runs of South Park or some grainy old documentary I've recorded about World War I.

Really I'd be game to watch anything but Cardinal baseball at that point but no, I've actually trained this one fairly well over the last decade+ and now she'll mostly just get puzzled when she sees DeJung or Jose Martinez. She even recognizes Greg Garcia and I'm not sure Garcia's own mother even recognizes him these days. He's been on a milk carton for quite some time.

And she'll even occasionally call out Mike Matheny for doing something stupid. It's at times like those that we have to leave the room for a bit, though not generally any longer than a commercial break....