Thread: Piscotty absent because his mother has been diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease

Piscotty absent because his mother has been diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease

Cardinals outfielder Stephen Piscotty returned to the team Wednesday and told reporters the reason for his absence over the past five days: His mother, Gretchen, has been diagnosed with ALS.

"I'm not going to beat around the bush, it's been discussed the reason I went back was for my mom," Piscotty said. "Last Wednesday she was diagnosed with ALS, and so it was a time to get back and spend time with her.

"It just really puts life in perspective. When I got the news it was a little tough to focus, and I felt it was the right decision to go home and Mike (Matheny) was great about making that real easy. I was very thankful for that, especially my mom (too). It's time to get back to work and get rolling, so I'm excited to be back and get back in there."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...9578bc289.html
    Register or log in to view signatures!

A terrible disease and its going to be hard on the whole family and friends ,prayers are needed for the Piscottys for sure.

Rotten luck for Stephen and his family.

I wonder if a team has ever traded a player so that they could be closer to family with major health issues.