Thread: Republicans On The Clock on Healthcare

Republicans On The Clock on Healthcare

The Republicans have effective sabotaged the ACA without a viable replacement either in theory or in practice. I am sure that there will be a fusillade of lies from the GOP blaming the ACA, Obama, and the Democrats. As flawed as the ACA is, the Republicans have only managed to make matters even worse.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/cong...-costs-n765256
    Register or log in to view signatures!

QuoteOriginally Posted by IndianaMike View Post
    The Republicans have effective sabotaged the ACA without a viable replacement either in theory or in practice. I am sure that there will be a fusillade of lies from the GOP blaming the ACA, Obama, and the Democrats. As flawed as the ACA is, the Republicans have only managed to make matters even worse.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/cong...-costs-n765256
    How is refusing to fix the fundamental flaws in Obamacare that they had no role in drafting or passing, sabotaging it?

QuoteOriginally Posted by CheapSeats View Post
    How is refusing to fix the fundamental flaws in Obamacare that they had no role in drafting or passing, sabotaging it?
    Less money in the Insurance agents pockets.
    Last edited by barnbird; 05-29-2017 at 01:43 PM.

It's the law of the land and they chose to make it fail. Threatening to withhold premium subsidies, voting for full repeal without replacement and slashing Medicaid in their new budget all served to destabilize a law that was working and would have worked better if it had been treated as a foundation to build upon rather than a finished product. This is what extreme partisanship gets us and it's going to be ugly.

QuoteOriginally Posted by barnbird View Post
    Less money in the Insurance agents pockets.
    Blind squirrel finds nut. I'm with you on that one, barn.

QuoteOriginally Posted by paulie walnuts View Post
    It's the law of the land and they chose to make it fail. Threatening to withhold premium subsidies, voting for full repeal without replacement and slashing Medicaid in their new budget all served to destabilize a law that was working and would have worked better if it had been treated as a foundation to build upon rather than a finished product. This is what extreme partisanship gets us and it's going to be ugly.
    The law was failing in its own before anything the GOP did. It was fundamentally flawed when enacted.

The law was failing in its own before anything the GOP did. It was fundamentally flawed when enacted.
    I would have been working a helluva lot better if every state had accepted Medicaid expansion, as designed.

It was not perfect but it did deliver health insurance (pretty good plans, too) to 11-12 million of our fellow citizens.

And now it's about to get blown up with no replacement plan waiting in the wings.

Mike is right, the real clusterfvck is about to begin. Thanks, GOP!

I would have been working a helluva lot better if every state had accepted Medicaid expansion, as designed.

It was not perfect but it did deliver health insurance (pretty good plans, too) to 11-12 million of our fellow citizens.

And now it's about to get blown up with no replacement plan waiting in the wings.

Except nobody pays to get it so somebody has to guess who ?
    Last edited by barnbird; 05-29-2017 at 07:15 PM.

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...mines-medicare

You keep repeating that not all states expanded Medicaid, but ignore it does nothing to improve health outcomes. You also continue to ignore that Medicaid enrollments have greatly exceeded estimates and that many/most enrolled via Medicaid were already eligible pre-Obamacare.

The 10-12 million expansion is 1/4-1/3 of estimates.

You keep repeating that not all states expanded Medicaid, but ignore it does nothing to improve health outcomes. You also continue to ignore that Medicaid enrollments have greatly exceeded estimates and that many/most enrolled via Medicaid were already eligible pre-Obamacare.

Gov Brown made all Illegals in California eligible for medicaide under the age of 18 and demands money from the Fed's to fund it, what a deal eh who pays for that ?

You keep repeating that not all states expanded Medicaid, but ignore it does nothing to improve health outcomes.
    Debunked here: http://www.factcheck.org/2015/07/is-...r-your-health/

You also continue to ignore that Medicaid enrollments have greatly exceeded estimates and that many/most enrolled via Medicaid were already eligible pre-Obamacare.
    So what? Greater awareness and marketing increased enrollment. Good.

Again, If every state participated and the GOP didn't engage in every form of subterfuge imaginable those numbers would be higher.

It comes down to whether you believe health care is a right or a privilege. I feel it is a right, and, furthermore, an obligation here in the greatest nation on earth, to take the best possible care of our own people.

Debunked here: http://www.factcheck.org/2015/07/is-...r-your-health/

So what? Greater awareness and marketing increased enrollment. Good.

Again, If every state participated and the GOP didn't engage in every form of subterfuge imaginable those numbers would be higher.

It comes down to whether you believe health care is a right or a privilege. I feel it is a right, and, furthermore, an obligation here in the greatest nation on earth, to take the best possible care of our own people.
    Medicaid enrollments have already greatly exceeded what was forecast and what was budgeted. Again, this is evidence of how badly flawed Obamacare was.

Interesting that the alleged debunking relies heavily on forecast of what will happen with expanded Medicaid rather than showing actual results, except for self-reporting of depression.
    Last edited by CheapSeats; 05-29-2017 at 07:58 PM.

And, the answer to failed liberal policies is to double down on the failed liberal policies

Gov Brown made all Illegals in California eligible for medicaide under the age of 18 and demands money from the Fed's to fund it, what a deal eh who pays for that ?
    Since rescinded.

Since when Is slowing the growth Of a program slashing it?

The Dems didn't want the GOP's help in crafting this lunacy of a bill, but now they want help fixing it. lol. LET IT DIE

Here's a simple question from someone not well acquainted with the complexities of the health insurance industry nor the ACA:

If the market has failed and has not kept costs down, why didn't I see commercials for Aetna, GHP, HealthLink etc etc trying to grab new customers by offering "discounts" and other perks the way I do car insurance companies? The market is about competition, no? This noob hasn't seen the evidence of the market being involved as it traditionally is.

Help me understand.

QuoteOriginally Posted by 85cards View Post
    Here's a simple question from someone not well acquainted with the complexities of the health insurance industry nor the ACA:

If the market has failed and has not kept costs down, why didn't I see commercials for Aetna, GHP, HealthLink etc etc trying to grab new customers by offering "discounts" and other perks the way I do car insurance companies? The market is about competition, no? This noob hasn't seen the evidence of the market being involved as it traditionally is.

Help me understand.
    I wonder if they are allowed to compete across the state lines if it will make any difference ?

I wonder if they are allowed to compete across the state lines if it will make any difference ?
    Of course it would.

Sadly, Republicans TALK about that all the time.

When it comes time to "vote" for it, they let marble-mouthed Mitch McConnell make excuses.

QuoteOriginally Posted by 85cards View Post

Help me understand.
    When you mandate the purchase and specify all the requirements of the policies, you kill both the need to compete and the means by which to do so.

When you mandate the purchase and specify all the requirements of the policies, you kill both the need to compete and the means by which to do so.
    Health insurers were never heavy national advertisers, even before the ACA.

Make no mistake, the market has failed.

The ACA was the heaviest government regulation of the healthcare marketplace to date.

It wasn't nearly enough.

Health insurers were never heavy national advertisers, even before the ACA.

Make no mistake, the market has failed.

The ACA was the heaviest government regulation of the healthcare marketplace to date.

It wasn't nearly enough.
    "No matter how much the government controls the economic system, any problem will be blamed on whatever small zone of freedom that remains."

Trying hard to come up with one thing they have managed not to screw up totally.