Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Republicans On The Clock on Healthcare

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    13,027

    Republicans On The Clock on Healthcare

    The Republicans have effective sabotaged the ACA without a viable replacement either in theory or in practice. I am sure that there will be a fusillade of lies from the GOP blaming the ACA, Obama, and the Democrats. As flawed as the ACA is, the Republicans have only managed to make matters even worse.

    http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/cong...-costs-n765256
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    19,396
    QuoteOriginally Posted by IndianaMike View Post
    The Republicans have effective sabotaged the ACA without a viable replacement either in theory or in practice. I am sure that there will be a fusillade of lies from the GOP blaming the ACA, Obama, and the Democrats. As flawed as the ACA is, the Republicans have only managed to make matters even worse.

    http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/cong...-costs-n765256
    How is refusing to fix the fundamental flaws in Obamacare that they had no role in drafting or passing, sabotaging it?
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Land of fruits and nuts
    Posts
    21,486
    QuoteOriginally Posted by CheapSeats View Post
    How is refusing to fix the fundamental flaws in Obamacare that they had no role in drafting or passing, sabotaging it?
    Less money in the Insurance agents pockets.
    Last edited by barnbird; 05-29-2017 at 01:43 PM.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    20,608
    QuoteOriginally Posted by CheapSeats View Post
    How is refusing to fix the fundamental flaws in Obamacare that they had no role in drafting or passing, sabotaging it?
    It's the law of the land and they chose to make it fail. Threatening to withhold premium subsidies, voting for full repeal without replacement and slashing Medicaid in their new budget all served to destabilize a law that was working and would have worked better if it had been treated as a foundation to build upon rather than a finished product. This is what extreme partisanship gets us and it's going to be ugly.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    20,608
    QuoteOriginally Posted by barnbird View Post
    Less money in the Insurance agents pockets.
    Blind squirrel finds nut. I'm with you on that one, barn.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    19,396
    QuoteOriginally Posted by paulie walnuts View Post
    It's the law of the land and they chose to make it fail. Threatening to withhold premium subsidies, voting for full repeal without replacement and slashing Medicaid in their new budget all served to destabilize a law that was working and would have worked better if it had been treated as a foundation to build upon rather than a finished product. This is what extreme partisanship gets us and it's going to be ugly.
    The law was failing in its own before anything the GOP did. It was fundamentally flawed when enacted.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    20,608
    QuoteOriginally Posted by CheapSeats View Post
    The law was failing in its own before anything the GOP did. It was fundamentally flawed when enacted.
    I would have been working a helluva lot better if every state had accepted Medicaid expansion, as designed.

    It was not perfect but it did deliver health insurance (pretty good plans, too) to 11-12 million of our fellow citizens.

    And now it's about to get blown up with no replacement plan waiting in the wings.

    Mike is right, the real clusterfvck is about to begin. Thanks, GOP!
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Land of fruits and nuts
    Posts
    21,486
    QuoteOriginally Posted by paulie walnuts View Post
    I would have been working a helluva lot better if every state had accepted Medicaid expansion, as designed.

    It was not perfect but it did deliver health insurance (pretty good plans, too) to 11-12 million of our fellow citizens.

    And now it's about to get blown up with no replacement plan waiting in the wings.

    Mike is right, the real clusterfvck is about to begin. Thanks, GOP!
    Except nobody pays to get it so somebody has to guess who ?
    Last edited by barnbird; 05-29-2017 at 07:15 PM.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    20,608
    http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...mines-medicare
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    19,396
    QuoteOriginally Posted by paulie walnuts View Post
    I would have been working a helluva lot better if every state had accepted Medicaid expansion, as designed.

    It was not perfect but it did deliver health insurance (pretty good plans, too) to 11-12 million of our fellow citizens.

    And now it's about to get blown up with no replacement plan waiting in the wings.

    Mike is right, the real clusterfvck is about to begin. Thanks, GOP!
    You keep repeating that not all states expanded Medicaid, but ignore it does nothing to improve health outcomes. You also continue to ignore that Medicaid enrollments have greatly exceeded estimates and that many/most enrolled via Medicaid were already eligible pre-Obamacare.

    The 10-12 million expansion is 1/4-1/3 of estimates.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Land of fruits and nuts
    Posts
    21,486
    QuoteOriginally Posted by CheapSeats View Post
    You keep repeating that not all states expanded Medicaid, but ignore it does nothing to improve health outcomes. You also continue to ignore that Medicaid enrollments have greatly exceeded estimates and that many/most enrolled via Medicaid were already eligible pre-Obamacare.

    The 10-12 million expansion is 1/4-1/3 of estimates.
    Gov Brown made all Illegals in California eligible for medicaide under the age of 18 and demands money from the Fed's to fund it, what a deal eh who pays for that ?
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    20,608
    QuoteOriginally Posted by CheapSeats View Post
    You keep repeating that not all states expanded Medicaid, but ignore it does nothing to improve health outcomes.
    Debunked here: http://www.factcheck.org/2015/07/is-...r-your-health/

    QuoteOriginally Posted by CheapSeats View Post
    You also continue to ignore that Medicaid enrollments have greatly exceeded estimates and that many/most enrolled via Medicaid were already eligible pre-Obamacare.
    So what? Greater awareness and marketing increased enrollment. Good.

    QuoteOriginally Posted by CheapSeats View Post
    The 10-12 million expansion is 1/4-1/3 of estimates.
    Again, If every state participated and the GOP didn't engage in every form of subterfuge imaginable those numbers would be higher.

    It comes down to whether you believe health care is a right or a privilege. I feel it is a right, and, furthermore, an obligation here in the greatest nation on earth, to take the best possible care of our own people.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    19,396
    QuoteOriginally Posted by paulie walnuts View Post
    Debunked here: http://www.factcheck.org/2015/07/is-...r-your-health/



    So what? Greater awareness and marketing increased enrollment. Good.



    Again, If every state participated and the GOP didn't engage in every form of subterfuge imaginable those numbers would be higher.

    It comes down to whether you believe health care is a right or a privilege. I feel it is a right, and, furthermore, an obligation here in the greatest nation on earth, to take the best possible care of our own people.
    Medicaid enrollments have already greatly exceeded what was forecast and what was budgeted. Again, this is evidence of how badly flawed Obamacare was.

    Interesting that the alleged debunking relies heavily on forecast of what will happen with expanded Medicaid rather than showing actual results, except for self-reporting of depression.
    Last edited by CheapSeats; 05-29-2017 at 07:58 PM.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Rock Hill
    Posts
    81,462
    QuoteOriginally Posted by paulie walnuts View Post
    I would have been working a helluva lot better if every state had accepted Medicaid expansion, as designed.

    It was not perfect but it did deliver health insurance (pretty good plans, too) to 11-12 million of our fellow citizens.

    And now it's about to get blown up with no replacement plan waiting in the wings.

    Mike is right, the real clusterfvck is about to begin. Thanks, GOP!
    And, the answer to failed liberal policies is to double down on the failed liberal policies
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,718
    QuoteOriginally Posted by barnbird View Post
    Gov Brown made all Illegals in California eligible for medicaide under the age of 18 and demands money from the Fed's to fund it, what a deal eh who pays for that ?
    Since rescinded.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    663
    QuoteOriginally Posted by paulie walnuts View Post
    It's the law of the land and they chose to make it fail. Threatening to withhold premium subsidies, voting for full repeal without replacement and slashing Medicaid in their new budget all served to destabilize a law that was working and would have worked better if it had been treated as a foundation to build upon rather than a finished product. This is what extreme partisanship gets us and it's going to be ugly.
    Since when Is slowing the growth Of a program slashing it?
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    663
    The Dems didn't want the GOP's help in crafting this lunacy of a bill, but now they want help fixing it. lol. LET IT DIE
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Collinsville
    Posts
    15,048
    Here's a simple question from someone not well acquainted with the complexities of the health insurance industry nor the ACA:

    If the market has failed and has not kept costs down, why didn't I see commercials for Aetna, GHP, HealthLink etc etc trying to grab new customers by offering "discounts" and other perks the way I do car insurance companies? The market is about competition, no? This noob hasn't seen the evidence of the market being involved as it traditionally is.

    Help me understand.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Land of fruits and nuts
    Posts
    21,486
    QuoteOriginally Posted by 85cards View Post
    Here's a simple question from someone not well acquainted with the complexities of the health insurance industry nor the ACA:

    If the market has failed and has not kept costs down, why didn't I see commercials for Aetna, GHP, HealthLink etc etc trying to grab new customers by offering "discounts" and other perks the way I do car insurance companies? The market is about competition, no? This noob hasn't seen the evidence of the market being involved as it traditionally is.

    Help me understand.
    I wonder if they are allowed to compete across the state lines if it will make any difference ?
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Rock Hill
    Posts
    81,462
    QuoteOriginally Posted by barnbird View Post
    I wonder if they are allowed to compete across the state lines if it will make any difference ?
    Of course it would.

    Sadly, Republicans TALK about that all the time.

    When it comes time to "vote" for it, they let marble-mouthed Mitch McConnell make excuses.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    19,396
    QuoteOriginally Posted by 85cards View Post
    Here's a simple question from someone not well acquainted with the complexities of the health insurance industry nor the ACA:

    If the market has failed and has not kept costs down, why didn't I see commercials for Aetna, GHP, HealthLink etc etc trying to grab new customers by offering "discounts" and other perks the way I do car insurance companies? The market is about competition, no? This noob hasn't seen the evidence of the market being involved as it traditionally is.

    Help me understand.
    When you mandate the purchase and specify all the requirements of the policies, you kill both the need to compete and the means by which to do so.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    20,608
    QuoteOriginally Posted by CheapSeats View Post
    When you mandate the purchase and specify all the requirements of the policies, you kill both the need to compete and the means by which to do so.
    Health insurers were never heavy national advertisers, even before the ACA.

    Make no mistake, the market has failed.

    The ACA was the heaviest government regulation of the healthcare marketplace to date.

    It wasn't nearly enough.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    19,396
    QuoteOriginally Posted by paulie walnuts View Post
    Health insurers were never heavy national advertisers, even before the ACA.

    Make no mistake, the market has failed.

    The ACA was the heaviest government regulation of the healthcare marketplace to date.

    It wasn't nearly enough.
    "No matter how much the government controls the economic system, any problem will be blamed on whatever small zone of freedom that remains."
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Land of fruits and nuts
    Posts
    21,486
    Trying hard to come up with one thing they have managed not to screw up totally.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •