Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Minor League Thread

Adams at least has a track record as a PH'er and had a huge contribution yesterday. (And of course he did hit a homerun off Kershaw in a playoff game....*sarcasm*)

Peralta currently isn't on the team. But sadly we both know he's coming soon. And when so Sierra goes back to where he belongs (I am impressed with this callup by the big league club, will discuss in another thread).

As for Broxton.....I was telling my buddy, game over once he entered. Happy I was wrong!!
    Register or log in to view signatures!

QuoteOriginally Posted by John D View Post
    Adams needs to be off the team.

Broxton needs to be off the team.

Peralta needs to be off the team.

Need I continue?
    THIS.

Peralta is a sunk cost, you are paying him regardless if he plays (sucks) or sits (takes up a space on the roster). Just flush the toilet already. Please. DFA. I think Diaz' future is 3B, but that's for later - Chubby Buddy (Jedd) is just fine over there for now (alternating with GGarcia).

Adams is a Matheny pet; the only way to ensure that he isn't used as a 1B or pinch hitter is to get rid of him. Bring up Voit.

As for Broxton, I'm sure there is a buffet he hasn't found; let him look in a city other than STL. Bring up Flaherty?

I think we see Voit & Bader soon; Grichuk (as much as I have liked him) just strikes out way too much for my taste. Tommy Phamtastic certainly has done nothing to merit a return to Memphis... yet.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Goombah! View Post
    Adams at least has a track record as a PH'er and had a huge contribution yesterday. (And of course he did hit a homerun off Kershaw in a playoff game....*sarcasm*)

Peralta currently isn't on the team. But sadly we both know he's coming soon. And when so Sierra goes back to where he belongs (I am impressed with this callup by the big league club, will discuss in another thread).

As for Broxton.....I was telling my buddy, game over once he entered. Happy I was wrong!!
    Scott,

The fact that these rather obvious moves won't be made speaks volumes.

Marco Gonzales started for Palm Beach today and pitched well. 6 IP, 2 H, 1 R (earned, solo HR), 0 BB, 7 K.

Austin Gomber has settled in at Springfield after a terrible first start: 7 2 1 1 2 3.

Weaver made another good start for Memphis: 7 4 0 0 0 4. Voit hit his 7th HR and Kelly got 3 hits (singles) and is now over .300.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Card fan in SWIN View Post
    Carson Kelly 3 for 3 today with a walk, now hitting .301/.400/.561, not a bad slash line....
    I was impressed with Carson, too. When my son and I sat down, I told him to watch out of Kelly, Voit and Weaver, among others. I had forgotten about Paul DeJong, too, and he had a good game, as well.

Our guys dominated from start to finish. Weaver had his breaking stuff freezing Cub batters. Thing of beauty. He even had a couple of good hacks himself.

Adams needs to be off the team.

Broxton needs to be off the team.

Peralta needs to be off the team.

Need I continue?
    After I saw Voit play, I'd say the easiest move would be to DFA Adams, move Carpenter and play the kid at first.

Memphis has won 7 straight, mostly by bludgeoning teams. Yesterday, they started some guy names Josh Zeid with an ERA near 7. He gave up 7 earned in 5+. No problem. They won 15-9. Best hitter goes 0-fer? No problem. The other 6 guys in the first 7 had multi-hit games. Kelly and Bader each hit two doubles. Kelly's OPS is back over 1.000. DeJong and Wisdom each hit his 7th HR.

Dakota Hudson turned in a nice start for Springfield (6.0 3 0 0 1 4), but the bullpen blew it. Oscar Mercado hit his 4th HR.

Woodford was shaky for Palm Beach (6.0 7 5 4 0 1). His 3.52 ERA is deceptive, since he's allowed 10 unearned runs (vs. 9 earned). His last three starts have been adventures. Palm Beach needs to find some offense somewhere while Sierra is gone. Sosa had two hits but also made his 11th error.

Peoria is struggling, and one of their few bright spots, Jordan Hicks, left after facing 7 batters. Andrew Knizer hit is 4th HR.

As I understand it, last night's 15-9 win at Iowa gave Memphis a franchise-record 11th straight win.

It's true, 11 straight, last 7 on the road.

Kelly is really playing well right now going 12 for 20 with 6 runs & 8 RBI over his last 5 games.

I'm glad Yadi is hanging around beyond 2017, but I do feel sorry for this kid. He's clearly ready now & he's trapped in Memphis until at least September (sans a Molina DL trip)

It would appear the C-Cubs have ravaged their farms and, at least based on what my son and I saw Sunday, don't have much left, at least in Triple-A.

We would appear to be getting ourselves in the position they were in just a couple of years ago.

Edit: I forgot to mention Weaver as being highly impressive and in-control. And, Bader didn't play Sunday, either.
    Last edited by STJOMO; 05-09-2017 at 12:37 PM.

QuoteOriginally Posted by STJOMO View Post
    It would appear the C-Cubs have ravaged their farms and, at least based on what my son and I saw Sunday, don't have much left, at least in Triple-A.

We would appear to be getting ourselves in the position they were in just a couple of years ago.
    I don't see one real hitter in the organization.

But, let me also say this. Sierra made a catch reminscent of Willie McGee over the weekend. We haven't seen that since #15 patrolled those parts.

QuoteOriginally Posted by TCB 6-4-3 View Post
    Kelly is really playing well right now going 12 for 20 with 6 runs & 8 RBI over his last 5 games.

I'm glad Yadi is hanging around beyond 2017, but I do feel sorry for this kid. He's clearly ready now & he's trapped in Memphis until at least September (sans a Molina DL trip)
    Carson Kelly is still 21 years old. He won't turn 22 until July. He's not trapped. They're going to bring him up next year and play him at 1B, 3B, and C. Maybe sooner.

It's pretty amazing, what this kid has done/is doing.

But, let me also say this. Sierra made a catch reminscent of Willie McGee over the weekend. We haven't seen that since #15 patrolled those parts.
    That play had a 35% catch probablility (according to Statcast) and he made it look like just a nice running catch. I saw him play last summer and left underwhelmed. Maybe it was because of plays like this, where he makes it look easy.

QuoteOriginally Posted by STJOMO View Post

They're mostly down to Happ (AAA) and Jimenez for their high-end propsects. Candelario has lost much of his shine, but he's still a decent prospect.

Still though, Happ & Jimenez are both better propsects than any of the Cardinals position player prospects. The problem for the Cubs has always been that despite great draft spots and spending big on the international market, they still haven't produced a single high-end pitching prospects. As a result they've had to trade some nice prospects for pitching help, especially in the late innings. In the past 10 months they've traded Billy McKinney, Gleyber Torres, Jorge Soler, and Dan Vogelbach for relief pitching. All for of them were (or are currently) top 100 prospects. Incredibly for them, they had an embarrassment of riches on position players and they managed to do all of this without trading other young studs in Bryant, Baez, Schwarber, Russell, Contreras or Almora

QuoteOriginally Posted by crashmeat View Post
    Carson Kelly is still 21 years old. He won't turn 22 until July. He's not trapped. They're going to bring him up next year and play him at 1B, 3B, and C. Maybe sooner.
    I hope you're right.....but I just don't see it happening, atleast as long a Gyorko is producing at 3B.

It's pretty amazing, what this kid has done/is doing
    Agreed. I really liked the kid when I read his draft report and he's even more exciting today than he was then. He was only 17 when we drafted him.

I admit that one game isn't a fair yardstick, but I was impressed with Voit, DeJong and Kelly, primarily, and a couple of others, secondarily. Wisdom didn't play in the game i saw, but hit a grand slam in an eight-run ninth last night.

Exactly, the Cardinals look nothing like the Cubs 2-3 years ago. The Cardinals have a lot of above average prospects but they lack an elite prospect (outside of Reyes). Bader, Dejong, Sierra are all really nice prospects, but none of them have the potential to be anything more than 3-tool players. Delvin Perez is the only position guy we've got that might end up with 4-tools but he's 3+ years away. All 4 of those guys are valuable if they develop and could be 4+ WAR guys but we really need a 6 WAR guy to come along.
    Last edited by TCB 6-4-3; 05-09-2017 at 12:24 PM.

That play had a 35% catch probablility (according to Statcast) and he made it look like just a nice running catch. I saw him play last summer and left underwhelmed. Maybe it was because of plays like this, where he makes it look easy.
    If you watch it closely, the jump he gets on that ball is phenomenal. He must have fantastic eyesight.

It's pretty amazing, what this kid has done/is doing.
    Kelly is 22 and turns 23 in July. He's still relatively inexperienced at C and should probably continue to do that exclusively. He'll probably be ready for a fulltime MLB gig next season, but will have to wait another three years for that opportunity in StL. But for Molina, he'd be in an ideal situation, with an ex-catcher manager waiting for him.

I can't believe Molina is old. Just yesterday he was a rookie with baby fat. What happened?

QuoteOriginally Posted by Sonicblast12 View Post
    I can't believe Molina is old. Just yesterday he was a rookie with baby fat. What happened?
    YOU got old.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Speedy G View Post
    Kelly is 22 and turns 23 in July.
    LOL, yes I hear maths are good. I wouldn't know.

He's still relatively inexperienced at C and should probably continue to do that exclusively.
    I suspect he will catch exclusively for the balance of this season. But Goold noted recently that the club has him continuing to work out at the infield corners. Connecting the dots, I think they're gonna have him spot Molina next year and fill in elsewhere once/week.

I suspect he will catch exclusively for the balance of this season. But Goold noted recently that the club has him continuing to work out at the infield corners. Connecting the dots, I think they're gonna have him spot Molina next year and fill in elsewhere once/week.
    So he will start twice a week? Unless they carry three catchers, he'll mostly sit, and honestly, I am not sure his bat is going to play at a corner. That just seems like a creative effort to solve a self-made problem. I think he'd be better off in another organization.

LOL, yes I hear maths are good. I wouldn't know.

I'd really like to see Carson be somebody's dedicated catcher next season (I'd suggest Leake) to ensure he starts at least once a week behind the plate & to ensure Yadi stays fresh.

So he will start twice a week? Unless they carry three catchers, he'll mostly sit, and honestly, I am not sure his bat is going to play at a corner. That just seems like a creative effort to solve a self-made problem. I think he'd be better off in another organization.
    Kelly is a hitter. His bat plays just fine at 3B, but at 1B it really doesn't. However, it'd play up against lefties, so you could spot start him against lefties to give Marp a breather every couple of weeks.

Kelly is a hitter. His bat plays just fine at 3B, but at 1B it really doesn't. However, it'd play up against lefties, so you could spot start him against lefties to give Marp a breather every couple of weeks.
    Yes, and you have a manager expertly skilled at those sorts of matchups

I like the kid. But, his value will likely never be higher.

Herzog had the balls to trade Terry Kennedy.

His career minor league OPS is under .700 and last year's breakout year was .740 at AA and .733 at AAA. I mean, if he were a potential elite bat, I don't think they would have converted him to C. He's off to a good start, but let's not get carried away. Shoehorning him into 3B/1B for a season or two seems like a waste of his time.

Have Yadi play first. Kelly catch. I still see Kelly be flipped for whatever needs the Cards have down the road. Could you start a package of he and Piscotty (note I said "start") to land a stick such as Stanton??? Hmmm

With Knizner's career off to a good start, and the other two catchers drafted, one being Dennis Ortega, Kelly can be expendable.'

His career minor league OPS is under .700 and last year's breakout year was .740 at AA and .733 at AAA. I mean, if he were a potential elite bat, I don't think they would have converted him to C. He's off to a good start, but let's not get carried away. Shoehorning him into 3B/1B for a season or two seems like a waste of his time.
    Virtually his entire professional career he's been a year younger than the competition he was facing. Also, add to that he was asked to adopt the most physically & mentally demanding position on the field. Kelly is just finally playing with his peers and he's settling into the position defensively. I look for .700 to be his floor.

Either way I'm just saying that if Kelly is to be called up, he has to get ABs somewhere. We're talking about strategic spot starts where Kelly is given ABs against pitchers he's likely to succeed against. Whether that's spelling Marp against a lefty or giving Gyorko a day off on a get away day, I don't care. He needs atleast 8-9 ABs per week.

Have Yadi play first. Kelly catch. I still see Kelly be flipped for whatever needs the Cards have down the road. Could you start a package of he and Piscotty (note I said "start") to land a stick such as Stanton??? Hmmm
    Yadi's bat doesn't play at 1B either. He's got negative value anywhere but C. And, like I said, they won't both play with any sort of frequency w/o a third catcher.

Kelly starting once a week and following Yadi around next year makes a lot of sense if he is going to take over the job in 2019, but Yadi has another two years after next at $20M per.

I didn't want them to extend Yadi, but I understand why they did. Now they are stuck with an extremely valuable asset ready to back up their most expensive field player for three seasons. It just doesn't make sense when the team has other holes to fill.

With Knizner's career off to a good start, and the other two catchers drafted, one being Dennis Ortega, Kelly can be expendable.'
    I actually agree. I like Kelly, but would be open to moving him now that the Yadi extension is done. It'd have to be for an impact player though. Stanton (and his injuries) scare the hell out of me. I'd rather target a Yelich or Ozuna.

Virtually his entire professional career he's been a year younger than the competition he was facing. Also, add to that he was asked to adopt the most physically & mentally demanding position on the field. Kelly is just finally playing with his peers and he's settling into the position defensively. I look for .700 to be his floor.

Either way I'm just saying that if Kelly is to be called up, he has to get ABs somewhere. We're talking about strategic spot starts where Kelly is given ABs against pitchers he's likely to succeed against. Whether that's spelling Marp against a lefty or giving Gyorko a day off on a get away day, I don't care. He needs atleast 8-9 ABs per week.
    Definitely he needs to play. But I think it is just as important that he logs innings behind the plate.

With another year of Yadi, even two, it would make sense to bring Kelly along slowly before turning things over to him. But we are talking about four more years until Kelly is catching fulltime in the majors. Unless they are willing to pay Yadi $20M to be a backup/tutor (and in that case they better be bumping payroll).

I've been a big Kelly supporter and have been saying for a couple of years that he was a severely underrated prospect. I don't want to trade him. But the situation as it is now, to me, that course makes the most sense.

I agree 100%. I was and am super excited knowing Carson Kelly is lurking. But let's all be honest, as JohnD and others point out, this team needs a true 4 hole hitter. We are also going to need SP'ing maybe as early as next season (Sign Lance Lynn now, pay the man, have Waino rework contract if need be). If Kelly keeps raking his stock will keep rising. Sell high on a ML ready prospect. And again, Knizner, while I know nothing about his Defense is hitting. And Manager Mike was real impressed with Ortega.

I agree 100%. I was and am super excited knowing Carson Kelly is lurking. But let's all be honest, as JohnD and others point out, this team needs a true 4 hole hitter. We are also going to need SP'ing maybe as early as next season (Sign Lance Lynn now, pay the man, have Waino rework contract if need be). If Kelly keeps raking his stock will keep rising. Sell high on a ML ready prospect. And again, Knizner, while I know nothing about his Defense is hitting. And Manager Mike was real impressed with Ortega.
    There's also Jeremy Martinez in High-A. He's off to a slow start batting, but he has a nice pedigree

Jeremy Martinez...thank you I couldn't remember who the third draftee was last year. Do you know anything about Knizners defense?

Daniel Poncedeleon was hit in the head by a line drive during today's Memphis start. He was carted off on a stretcher but was reportedly conscious and waved to fans on the way out.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...ame/314686001/

He's been pitching well this year and could maybe be in the conversation if/when they need a starter.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/re...d=ponced001dan

Jeremy Martinez...thank you I couldn't remember who the third draftee was last year. Do you know anything about Knizners defense?
    Here's what I found on him from draft day. He's a catcher convert & his bat is what will carry him to the big leagues. He's not a great catcher, apparently.

2014 Freshman All-American as a third baseman at North Carolina State, Knizner has spent the last two years behind the plate. His offense has suffered and his defense is inconsistent, yet he still flashes enough ability to project as a big league catcher if he can make some refinements.

Knizner has good feel for hitting and makes consistent contact from the right side of the plate, though he walks infrequently. His strength stands out more than his bat speed and most of his current pop comes in the form of doubles, but some scouts think he could develop average power. Whichever team drafts him also could return him to the hot corner and hope his bat shows the promise it did two years ago.

It's more likely that Knizner will enter pro ball as a catcher. He can demonstrate solid arm strength and reliable receiving skills, though at times his release gets too long and he'll clank balls off his mitt. He's a well below-average runner but has enough agility behind the plate.

Also, just for comparisons sake, Kelly is just 6 months older than Martinez & 8 months older than Knizner. Kelly is excelling in AAA and they in A+ and A- respectively. Im not sure how old Ortega is but he's in extended ST and will be assigned to short season ball.

Yes I was aware of that...which IMO works out well to give the others time to develop, thus not starting their ML service time. And looking at just age alone, makes Kelly even that much more of a huge trade chip!

199.9 miles east of mecca (Busch Stadium)
    we could use Luis Robert to give us a true stud prospect....

QuoteOriginally Posted by Card fan in SWIN View Post
    we could use Luis Robert to give us a true stud prospect....
    ROFLMFAO

I hear Moe is first in line with the 3rd best offer.

I'm certain it will be "competitive"

ROFLMFAO

I hear Moe is first in line with the 3rd best offer.

I'm certain it will be "competitive"
    oh yea of little faith..... let me dream a little....

If Mo and DeWallet miss out on Robert it will be compete lunacy. For an organization that has through the years heavily invested in its farm system this guy could be the holy grail of prospects. He is THE Taveras replacement, as long as he is as advertised.

Hopefully they go all out and sign him. Yes, we have a lot of OF prospects currently with Sierra, Bader, Garcia, Mercado now, et al.....but as of this writing none of them project to be anything close to Robert.

A future lineup with the likes of Sierra, Robert, and Delvin Perez sounds very athletic. I want to see it someday!

If Mo and DeWallet miss out on Robert it will be compete lunacy. For an organization that has through the years heavily invested in its farm system this guy could be the holy grail of prospects. He is THE Taveras replacement, as long as he is as advertised.

Hopefully they go all out and sign him. Yes, we have a lot of OF prospects currently with Sierra, Bader, Garcia, Mercado now, et al.....but as of this writing none of them project to be anything close to Robert.

A future lineup with the likes of Sierra, Robert, and Delvin Perez sounds very athletic. I want to see it someday!
    Hey Goom

I'm excited about him too. But...He's 19. Let's not anoint him yet. He is a must get, but he's no taveras yet. It took years of minor league development for OT to become a top two prospect.

Roberts is a first round talent. It is sufficient to say that.
    Last edited by two-hole; 05-09-2017 at 06:09 PM.

He's a must get. As I said "as long as he is as advertised" thus I'm not anointing him, I'm just saying that he could be that generational hitter organizations all seem to find. Our most recent one had a thing for fast cars sadly.

If you can spend millions on the likes of Buffet Broxton, Brett Cecil, and guys like Choate then it should be very easy to sign Robert (Ro-Bear). Have Aledmys call the kid, tell his agent that whatever offer comes in the highest tack on a few million and consider it a done deal.

I hear you. He *could* be. But they all *could* be.

You would never have heard his name if he were amateur draft eligible. You only know him because he's a Free Agent up for grabs at a special time, nearly alone.

Have you heard of Kyle Lewis? Blake Rutherford?

OFs taken mid first round last draft.

I don't know...maybe he's even a Corey Ray. I doubt it.

But he may not even crack the top 100 prospects when he's signed.

QuoteOriginally Posted by two-hole View Post
    But he may not even crack the top 100 prospects when he's signed.
    ???

"How good is Robert? One American League international scouting director described Robert as "the best player on the planet, and that's no exaggeration."

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/216971...onal-prospect/

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/h...ill-be-robust/

Top-25 player per this article in Chicago Sun Times.....not sure about the not even top 100 prospect thing....

Latest news....(May 20 is a big day)...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...lgTFbvLCxZ3.97

OK the top 100 comment was probably off base.

Lewis and ray are in the 30s and 40s.

I imagine if he got off to a good start in milb ball he'd be in the top 50 by Feb 2018 rankings.

At mid season rankings this year though? I don't know. The rankers typically want to see some time in milb ball before they go top 50 right away
    Last edited by two-hole; 05-09-2017 at 09:22 PM.