Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Minor League Thread

QuoteOriginally Posted by two-hole View Post
    Tommy Pham is going ape shit in AAA.

So is local boy (Wildwood) Luke Voit, 22nd rd pick 2013, product of famed Lafayette HS and Mo State u..

Saw Luke Voit in Jupiter. Chuckled when I saw him take BP because he looks and swings like one of those jacked up slow pitch softball players. Without knowing much about him, I assumed he probably struck out 150+ times last year. Surprised to learn that it was only 83 (in 546 PA) and even more encouragingly, his strikeout rate actually went down as he advanced from High A to AA.

Then he got an AB in the ST game against the Nationals that afternoon and crushed a no doubter way out to left field. I think he's my new favorite Cardinal.

Looks like he's cooled off a little in the past week, but he still leads a hot hitting Memphis team with his 1.132 OPS.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

QuoteOriginally Posted by TommyHerr28 View Post
    Saw Luke Voit in Jupiter. Chuckled when I saw him take BP because he looks and swings like one of those jacked up slow pitch softball players. Without knowing much about him, I assumed he probably struck out 150+ times last year. Surprised to learn that it was only 83 (in 546 PA) and even more encouragingly, his strikeout rate actually went down as he advanced from High A to AA.

Then he got an AB in the ST game against the Nationals that afternoon and crushed a no doubter way out to left field. I think he's my new favorite Cardinal.

Looks like he's cooled off a little in the past week, but he still leads a hot hitting Memphis team with his 1.132 OPS.
    Voit was the guy I identified in the pre-season as our 'next Allen Craig'.

Well that's not entirely fair - I said that we don't have one of those but the closes I can see is Voit. He showed some very positive developmental signs last year, good to see him carry them forward.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Oz-iz-God View Post
    Yeah.

But that doesn't mean I have to agree with them.

They can do stupid shit all day long; it's their circus and their monkeys. That's not gonna stop me from calling it stupid.
    Hey, I'm on board. You and JD and I and a few others are saying the same thing in different manners (and possibly to different degrees). But the bottom line is this org had a tremendous run, is now staler than 8 week old rye bread and is dragging its knuckles in the manner with which they are "improving" the club. I'm not optimistic about the next 3 years--at all.

In a small sample, this year's K rate is up to 32% (after 25% the last two seasons) but Patrick Wisdom might be putting it together. The six doubles in 50 PA is skewing the numbers, but hey, six doubles. He had 20 all last year.

QuoteOriginally Posted by crashmeat View Post
    In a small sample, this year's K rate is up to 32% (after 25% the last two seasons) but Patrick Wisdom might be putting it together. The six doubles in 50 PA is skewing the numbers, but hey, six doubles. He had 20 all last year.
    I like Wisdom. He plays a solid 3B. Looks good at the plate but has had a hard time putting it together for any significant stretch. He was one of their best hitters all spring and it seems to have carried right over into the AAA season. He's 25, so it's now or never. It's not as if there's anyone blocking him in St. Louis.

Plummer doesn't have the developmental time to keep getting hurt.

Kid came from a cold-weather environment as it is so he has far fewer ABs than a lot of similarly situated prospects. He needed to get out and play then he missed the entire 2016 season.

Kid's one more lost season from being a non-entity at this point. Truth be told, he may be there already. He's now a 20 yr old kid with a handful of ABs above short season ball under his belt and a ton of rough edges. His ETA can't be seen as any earlier than his age 25 season at this point. There's just no margin for error with him anymore.

Still, he's one of the only potential five-tool players that we have in our organization, so it's too early to give up on him.

I'll wait until the end of the year before writing him off.

Junior Fernandez with 8 innings of 1 hit shutout pitching last night.

Some enterprising fan has gone a couple extra miles with this spreadsheet, which covers all levels and appears updated. Pretty slick.

Some enterprising fan has gone a couple extra miles with this spreadsheet, which covers all levels and appears updated. Pretty slick.
    Pretty neat stuff. Thanks!

Interesting page....reading though the transactions, it seems the cards signed their 23rd round draft pick from last summer - JD Crowe, back on April 6th. Seems odd to sign a kid 10 months post draft.

BB-Ref lets you pull up recent performances on a single page. The default is yesterday's results, but you can modify the search parameters. The sort defaults to some sort of best-to-worst, but you can click headers to re-sort and the MiLB.com box scores are linked. Looks like Peoria had some fun yesterday.

yesterday's batting
    yesterday's pitching

QuoteOriginally Posted by Redbirdfan1 View Post
    Luis Robert LOL no points for 2nd place
    He's been declared a free agent and can sign a contract as of May 20th. Looking forward to a great second best offer.

Flaherty with another great game. 6 shutout innings, 6 hits, 1 walk, 5 Ks in a 8-1 Springfield win.

He's now 4-0 in 4 starts with a 0.33 ERA. 27.1 Innings, 15 hits, 1 run, 3 walks, 24K. BAA is only .161.

In the same game - Jose Adolis Garcia (recent Cuban signee) went 3-5 and is currently hitting .326 3 HR 6 RBI with a 1.002 OPS and Oscar Mercado hit his 2nd HR of the year and is now hitting .327 while playing CF.
    Last edited by Indy CardsFan; 04-23-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Anyone know what Flaherty is doing differently this year......and will it fly at higher levels?

The Cardinals outrighted Anthony Garcia this afternoon, removing him from the 40 man.

Good thing we kept him instead of Cordoba, eh? Or Hazelbaker. Or Cooney.

(****ing dolt)

Not sure what the move was in preparation for.

The Cardinals outrighted Anthony Garcia this afternoon, removing him from the 40 man.

(****ing dolt)

WTF

so he had to pass waivers?

maybe there's a position player move coming shortly...someone who isn't on the 40 man is coming up, with Siegrist going on the DL.

guessing? we still have 13 pitchers, yes?

they also have Alex Reyes only on the 10-day DL.

http://m.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/roster/40-man/

Can't they move him to the 60 and gain another spot? They still have Duke on the 60, but he's the only other one.

Maybe it just comes down to...he's playing like shit right now, so if you're going to want to waiver him, now's the time to get him thru.

with Marp suspended and a short bench already, maybe Bader is coming up? Or Voit. Voit isn't on the 40 yet.

Pham and Sierra are the only MiLB OF's on the 40 man. Sierra isn't ready.
    Last edited by two-hole; 04-25-2017 at 04:21 PM.

with Marp suspended and a short bench already, maybe Bader is coming up? Or Voit. Voit isn't on the 40 yet.

Pham and Sierra are the only MiLB OF's on the 40 man. Sierra isn't ready.
    Matheny plays with a short bench even when he has a full bench; giving him more players to not play wouldn't be terribly useful or necessary.

They'll just play short for a night. Or call up another pitcher.

Matheny plays with a short bench even when he has a full bench; giving him more players to not play wouldn't be terribly useful or necessary.

They'll just play short for a night. Or call up another pitcher.
    maybe Broxton counts as two roster spots?

they also have Alex Reyes only on the 10-day DL.

http://m.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/roster/40-man/

Can't they move him to the 60 and gain another spot? They still have Duke on the 60, but he's the only other one.

Maybe it just comes down to...he's playing like shit right now, so if you're going to want to waiver him, now's the time to get him thru.
    To what end? If you want to protect him at the end of the year, he has to go back on. If the organization has any plans of him contributing at the major league level, he has to go back on before being called up.

Would you really bother outrighting the guy so you can keep him in the minors for another few months before casting him off in the off-season? Who really gives a shit at that point?

Just another 40 man foul-up from Mozeliak. The guy just does a lot of weird stuff with his 40 man.

To what end? If you want to protect him at the end of the year, he has to go back on. If the organization has any plans of him contributing at the major league level, he has to go back on before being called up.

Would you really bother outrighting the guy so you can keep him in the minors for another few months before casting him off in the off-season? Who really gives a shit at that point?

Just another 40 man foul-up from Mozeliak. The guy just does a lot of weird stuff with his 40 man.
    i'm not going to argue the past 40-man foulups. they were unnecessary and embarrassing.

but there could be reason to push a guy off, even if only for a few months. you may anticipate needing those spots for promos, trades, and signings. and there'll be plenty of room on the 40 after this season, with Broxton and Peralta coming off.

Maybe Luis Roberts insists on a 40 man spot with his signing. Maybe there's a trade coming. Or a promo tonight to lengthen the bench. Or maybe they are adding Leonys Martin, for instance. He just got DFA'd by Seattle.

At least give it a day or two to see if there are moves coming. Then if it still smells like slop, i'll join you.

i'm not going to argue the past 40-man foulups. they were unnecessary and embarrassing.....

At least give it a day or two to see if there are moves coming. Then if it still smells like slop, i'll join you.

The thing is though....if they wanted a roster spot for any of the reasons you mentioned.....just put Alex Reyes on the 60 day DL and free up the spot. Problem solved.

I'm not going to lose sleep over Anthony Garcia going away.....but it's just another in a long line of dumb 40 man usage by Moe.

They were only at 39 with Garcia and Reyes on the 10-day. So, now they are at 38 with the option to make that 37 anytime they want by moving Reyes to the 60-day.

Outrighting Garcia almost can't be related to any other near-term roster moves.

(****ing dolt)

Another symptom of Mozeliak's penchant for Rosterbation.

Multimillion dollar businessman.

QuoteOriginally Posted by John D View Post
    Another symptom of Mozeliak's penchant for Rosterbation.

Multimillion dollar businessman.
    Are you, as you said you are, "all about results"?

QuoteOriginally Posted by Speedy G View Post
    They were only at 39 with Garcia and Reyes on the 10-day. So, now they are at 38 with the option to make that 37 anytime they want by moving Reyes to the 60-day.

And they lost Hazelbaker, Cooney and Cordoba to a roster crunch.

Unbelievable.

Luke Voit update:
    • Week of 4/25: 5 for 14, 1 2B, 2 HR 357/438/857 1.295 OPS
    • Season to date: 360/448/680 1.128 OPS (4th in PCL)

Voit was not the only one in AAA who had a nice week:
    • DeJong: 6 for 14, 2 2B, 3 HR 429/467/1.214 1.681 OPS
    • Bader: 5 for 15, 2 HR 333/444/733 1.178 OPS
    • Wisdom: 7 for 19, 1 2B, 2 HR 368/400/737 1.137 OPS

Going to be in Memphis for a game first weekend of June. Should see some offense. Hopefully Weaver and/or Gant (but Gant could be in STL to replace Buffet or Siegrist) is back by then to stabilize the pitching.

And they lost Hazelbaker, Cooney and Cordoba to a roster crunch.

Unbelievable.
    He's such a good GM

Luke Voit update:
    • Week of 4/25: 5 for 14, 1 2B, 2 HR 357/438/857 1.295 OPS
    • Season to date: 360/448/680 1.128 OPS (4th in PCL)

Voit was not the only one in AAA who had a nice week:
    • DeJong: 6 for 14, 2 2B, 3 HR 429/467/1.214 1.681 OPS
    • Bader: 5 for 15, 2 HR 333/444/733 1.178 OPS
    • Wisdom: 7 for 19, 1 2B, 2 HR 368/400/737 1.137 OPS
    Bader is now hitting .270/.379/.486 (.866), which is pretty solid coupled with a respectable 9/18 BB/K.

DeJong is hitting .304/.329/.544 (.874), but a troubling 2/24 BB/K.

Wisdom is hitting .275/.330/.475 (.805), with an only slightly less troubling 6/25 BB/K.

Carson Kelly is hitting .235/.339/.510 (.849) w/ a 7/12 BB/K and has allowed only 7 SB in 131 innings caught.

Pham is hitting .295/.368/.513 (.881). Voit, a RH, would fit the MLB roster better than Adams.

Flaherty pitched yesterday. A less dominant outing, but still only 1 run allowed (5.0 7 1 1 1 4). He left with a 7-1 lead that the bullpen immediately coughed up (Springfield later came back and won).

Connor Jones pitched a good game for Palm Beach (5.0 1 1 0 1 3). He and Zac Gallen are both off to good starts there:

Jones - 2-0, 1.12 ERA, 5.1 H/9, 3.4 BB/9, 4.5 K/9
    Gallen - 2-1, 1.57 ERA, 7.4 H/9, 2.3 BB/9, 11.3 K/9

Just curious... is there any way this move would extend the "team control" over Garcia that Moe thinks is his primary mission in life?

QuoteOriginally Posted by John D View Post
    Just curious... is there any way this move would extend the "team control" over Garcia that Moe thinks is his primary mission in life?
    I think Garcia will become a minor league free agent after this season, if he isn't added back to the 40 man roster, so no.

Garcia played for Springfield, yesterday.

Voit continues to hit for Memphis. 3-4 last night with a solo HR. Now hitting ,361 w/ 6 Hrs and 17 RBI.

Weaver got the win last night in his first game back...6 innings , no runs , 3 hits...with no walks and 5 strike outs.

Memphis is on a roll and Weaver pitched great last night in his first start back. 63 pitches in six scoreless. Good news for the depth chart.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Indy CardsFan View Post
    Voit continues to hit for Memphis. 3-4 last night with a solo HR. Now hitting ,361 w/ 6 Hrs and 17 RBI.

Weaver got the win last night in his first game back...6 innings , no runs , 3 hits...with no walks and 5 strike outs.
    Now would be the best time to bring him up. You don't want to short-circuit a hot streak but you also don't want to bring him up when he's too cold.

He's 2-3 weeks into this streak so he's probably due to come out of it a bit. But if you bring him up now, he has the wind at his back and the additional challenge might be enough to give that focus some new life.

I'm not sure how Matheny could make due with only 12 pitchers, though. And we have to make sure to keep a spot open for Peralta to do...nothing, really.

Oscar Mercado is the 2nd round pick in 2013 that had been playing SS. They moved him to CF this season and he's tearing it up offensively. Strikeouts are a little high but the kid's on a 15-game hitting streak.

I think Garcia will become a minor league free agent after this season, if he isn't added back to the 40 man roster, so no.

Garcia played for Springfield, yesterday.
    Ok, so it was just inexplicably stupid.

Par for the course.

Oscar Mercado is the 2nd round pick in 2013 that had been playing SS. They moved him to CF this season and he's tearing it up offensively. Strikeouts are a little high but the kid's on a 15-game hitting streak.
    Yeah, it is pretty bizarre. Can we move him back to SS?

Get this, he made the switch to CF last year. To that point, he had hit:

2013 - .209/.290/.307 (.597)
    2014 - .224/.303/.306 (.609)
    2015 - .254/.297/.341 (.638)
    2016 - .205/.278/.255 (.533)

He continued to struggle for about a week, then picked things up and from 8/1 on hit .274/.369/.354 (.723), and now this year as a fulltime full season CF he's hitting .341/.408/.534 (.942).

Guess that answers my question.

Now would be the best time to bring him up. You don't want to short-circuit a hot streak but you also don't want to bring him up when he's too cold.

He's 2-3 weeks into this streak so he's probably due to come out of it a bit. But if you bring him up now, he has the wind at his back and the additional challenge might be enough to give that focus some new life.

I'm not sure how Matheny could make due with only 12 pitchers, though. And we have to make sure to keep a spot open for Peralta to do...nothing, really.
    Matheny can't even get Jose Martinez in the lineup despite carrying only 12 position players, yet you expect him to use Voit? Haha.

Yeah, it is pretty bizarre. Can we move him back to SS?

Get this, he made the switch to CF last year. To that point, he had hit:

2013 - .209/.290/.307 (.597)
    2014 - .224/.303/.306 (.609)
    2015 - .254/.297/.341 (.638)
    2016 - .205/.278/.255 (.533)

He continued to struggle for about a week, then picked things up and from 8/1 on hit .274/.369/.354 (.723), and now this year as a fulltime full season CF he's hitting .341/.408/.534 (.942).

Guess that answers my question.
    Don't completely underestimate the impact of Hammond Field.

But there's been a definite change in approach. His K-Rate has skyrocketed but so has his power. His walk rate has increased by a tick but may just be a small sample size thing.

I wonder if he was just making a lot of soft, lousy contact in years past and now he's decided to just damn the torpedoes and swing hard when he lets it go. Additionally, at 22, he's probably just gotten quite a bit stronger. Now, not '0 HRs in 500+ PAs to 3 HRs in your first 100 the following year', but it couldn't have hurt.

QuoteOriginally Posted by TCB 6-4-3 View Post
    Matheny can't even get Jose Martinez in the lineup despite carrying only 12 position players, yet you expect him to use Voit? Haha.
    Gotta play that Windmill

199.9 miles east of mecca (Busch Stadium)
    QuoteOriginally Posted by RHinSD View Post
    Anyone know what Flaherty is doing differently this year......and will it fly at higher levels?
    I do not nor have I read what it is but so far tonight so good...

4 innings 1 Hit (albeit a HR) and 9K's era after 4 innings 0.74....

update...his night is over

7 innings, 2 hits, 1 walk and 12 K's....0.69 ERA
    Last edited by Card fan in SWIN; 05-05-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Weaver threw 7 shutout innings today allowing 4 hits , no walks and getting 4ks. He hasn't allowed a run in his 2 starts.

Voit hit another HR, his 7th....now hitting .352.

Great game all around. Cub manager and reliever tossed when Voit was drilled with the guys' first delivery. I'm excited to see the talent at Memphis. They won their 10th straight.

QuoteOriginally Posted by STJOMO View Post
    Great game all around. Cub manager and reliever tossed when Voit was drilled with the guys' first delivery. I'm excited to see the talent at Memphis. They won their 10th straight.
    Bring 'em up. Way too many stiffs on the 25 man.

199.9 miles east of mecca (Busch Stadium)
    QuoteOriginally Posted by STJOMO View Post
    Carson Kelly 3 for 3 today with a walk, now hitting .301/.400/.561, not a bad slash line....

John,

I gotta ask....which stiff would you replace right now....meaning the roster that just won three straight???

Wong
    Grichuck
    Carpenter
    Gyorko
    Diaz
    Sierra
    Pham
    PITCHER

John, I tend to side with your opinions usually but gotta ask....which stiff? Who from AAA wouldn't be AAAVoigt soon after callup?

As of the time of these posts the offense isn't the problem.

Which Bullpen stiffs would you replace with a
    AAA callup? I started a thread mentioning "The Other Reyes" a couple days as potential bullpen help. Thread got "crickets".....but the bullpen is what needs to be talked about.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Goombah! View Post
    John,

I gotta ask....which stiff would you replace right now....meaning the roster that just won three straight???

Wong
    Grichuck
    Carpenter
    Gyorko
    Diaz
    Sierra
    Pham
    PITCHER

John, I tend to side with your opinions usually but gotta ask....which stiff? Who from AAA wouldn't be AAAVoigt soon after callup?

As of the time of these posts the offense isn't the problem.

Which Bullpen stiffs would you replace with a
    AAA callup? I started a thread mentioning "The Other Reyes" a couple days as potential bullpen help. Thread got "crickets".....but the bullpen is what needs to be talked about.
    Adams needs to be off the team.

Broxton needs to be off the team.

Peralta needs to be off the team.

Need I continue?