Thread: Proposals for next season....re: 12 Hr Rule

Proposals for next season....re: 12 Hr Rule

Rather than cluttering up a round thread....here are a few thoughts for next year.

1. Implement a rule where after a certain # of 12 hr rule violations you aren't allowed back in future seasons. Not sure what the # should be...2, 3 or 4 but find a # and then boot the person for the following season.

2. Change the 12 hr rule violations to be that your spot is skipped. Your pick is made whenever you show up. If it's 20 picks later, that's life. It's not really much of a penalty to get the best player available, IMO. Losing out by picking later is a real penalty.

3. No weekend exemptions. It's 2017 -- most of us likely have the internet at our fingertips at all times. If anything, without work going on for most of us during the weekends, people may actually have more time to check the internet to see if it's time to pick.

Share your thoughts......if a majority (and Commish) like any or all of the suggestions we can move to implement next year.....which given our current pace, might actually be when this draft ends!!
    Register or log in to view signatures!

GOOCH is offlineReal OG: "Original Gooch"
    MY IDEA (transplanted from the round thread):

I think the skip idea is unduly harsh, and likely to induce hard feelings (look at RBF last year). It's a free league - no need for Draconian measures.

We could reduce the pick clock (say, 4 hours) but only have it run from, say, 8am - 10pm CST (all day, every day - weekends too). If you miss, it's top-Yahoo for you (which is often going to be a less-than-ideal pick for that team, btw). I think the 12 hour clock is actually inducing people to check the forum less often (why go through the frustration?). Of course, someone is always going to blank on their pick (like I did), but then the 'cost' of the blank to the rest of the league is just 4 hours...rather than a whole day. Which when you think about it, is the real problem. The problem isn't that players who miss their time slot aren't being punished enough - the problem is that we all have to wait around for 12 hours do do anything. This way, the cost is only 4 hours - ever. And while picks can still happen outside the window, the clock is also not running when most people aren't 'around' (read awake) to make picks. My 2 cents. D.GOOCH
    Last edited by GOOCH; 02-16-2017 at 11:49 AM.

IMO, I think 4 hours is somewhat on the short side. I'd be fine with shortening the window....but probably more to 6-8 hours.

I don't see skipping the pick as too big a punishment. In the rd 4 thread, it was said to put them at the back (which would be a big deal), but I just want to skip them until they show up.

Not to pick on you -- but with your 12 hour pick (which due to normal sleep times) was more like an 18 hour pick....you ended up getting Marte. Not exactly a punishment. I would rather have seen me just skip you and then Tiger, NYC, Gibby and so on just keep picking until you showed up. A person may end up picking a few spots lower or 20 depending on when they show up. I wouldn't have moved you to the 15th pick of Rd 22....just skipped you until you came back.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Indy CardsFan View Post
    IMO, I think 4 hours is somewhat on the short side. I'd be fine with shortening the window....but probably more to 6-8 hours.

I don't see skipping the pick as too big a punishment. In the rd 4 thread, it was said to put them at the back (which would be a big deal), but I just want to skip them until they show up.

Not to pick on you -- but with your 12 hour pick (which due to normal sleep times) was more like an 18 hour pick....you ended up getting Marte. Not exactly a punishment. I would rather have seen me just skip you and then Tiger, NYC, Gibby and so on just keep picking until you showed up. A person may end up picking a few spots lower or 20 depending on when they show up. I wouldn't have moved you to the 15th pick of Rd 22....just skipped you until you came back.
    Well, just to illustrate that it doesn't always work out that way, I still wouldn't have picked Marte. I think two picks had been made since you posted Marte for me, but Marte was 5th or 6th on my list at the time. I'm not complaining - dems tha rules and dems the breaks. Just pointing out that, in that instance, I would have preferred your rule to the one I suggested. Anyway, I don't think the point is to punish - the point is to keep the draft moving. One way to do that might be to ramp up the punishment, but another is to shorten the window. YMMV. D.GOOCH

My issues last year with it was the overnight clock. I never found it fair that you're on the clock during sleeping hours. I had a newborn and a 1 year old. getting them to bed and getting myself to sleep was a priority. The pick before mine came in the evening and then my clock expired fairly early the next morning on saturday where I snuck in a little extra sleep. I think if you're going to say the clock keeps running from 10 PM to 9 AM then 12 hours isn't really a good number IMO. you should say 15 hours.

I'd have preferred to get skipped than to be handed a player I probably didn't want. I check in regularly and that one time was a fluke in how it transpired. But I'd rather make my own pick.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Redbirdfan1 View Post
    My issues last year with it was the overnight clock. I never found it fair that you're on the clock during sleeping hours. I had a newborn and a 1 year old. getting them to bed and getting myself to sleep was a priority. The pick before mine came in the evening and then my clock expired fairly early the next morning on saturday where I snuck in a little extra sleep. I think if you're going to say the clock keeps running from 10 PM to 9 AM then 12 hours isn't really a good number IMO. you should say 15 hours.

I'd have preferred to get skipped than to be handed a player I probably didn't want. I check in regularly and that one time was a fluke in how it transpired. But I'd rather make my own pick.
    If we were stuck with this system, I'd prefer it be a provisional pick, subject to change when the owner makes it back to the board. In other words, if, say, 5 picks have been made since my provisional pick was posted, I could still change the pick. The picks made by managers that had picked after your provisional pick would be locked in (for example - I still couldn't have taken Story, as Tiger had already done so), but you could change the pick if you wanted to. Of course, that wouldn't be really fair to the other managers who picked in the interim (as they might have wanted the guy who was picked for you), and letting them change their pick probably over-complicates it. But anyway, your post is another vote in the 'current system is more of a punishment than the skip option' column. D.GOOCH

Some random thoughts

1. There needs to be a deterrent to missing your pick. The longer the window the more severe the penalty should be.
    2. We could set the start of a round at a set time say the following day at 8am and send an email/text to announce the start time of each round. I can see that at times the draft races ahead and other times drags and that could lead to people miscalculating when their pick will come around esp if you are at the top or bottom of the draft. By starting each round at the same time of day that might help alleviate some of the guessing. This may also be an option if you miss your pick you fall to the bottom of that round.
    3. I am ok with decreasing the time to pick but that may cause issues if someone is at work and is unable to log in due to work constraints. I know I check in and out but sometimes i have checked in and then immediately got called away.

FWIW I don't really have a heartache about how we do it; just establish clear rules and then follow them. The other thing to realize and I think we all do is that the commish has a thankless task and we all should respect the decisions he makes and move on. It hasn't gotten too bad this year but it is early. Don't sweat the small stuff and remember in fantasy baseball it is all small stuff .

really I think there should be a 1 time grace period. whether that's 15 or 24 hour then you show no mercy

Needless to say, because I'm in a different time zone (13 hours to Eastern time), my clock is nearly opposite, so a short clock would be difficult for me during everyone's waking hours. But I can easily do 12 hours. I sleep normally 11am to 6pm Eastern Time, which of course is when the bulk of the picks are made, oftentimes.

I lost one pick last year, my fourth round, I believe, because I woke up and didn't check right away. Waited to lunch time. I know better now.

i've been in this league for 10+ years. personally, i'll never understand the hurry up and wait mentality when it comes to a recreational fantasy baseball league.

stick to the 12 hour rule. whoever is next in line to draft, at the 6hour mark, send a courtesy message via the message board. penalizing someone for having to deal with life outside of this board seems unnecessarily harsh when it's just as easy to autopick for them.

QuoteOriginally Posted by ManilaCone View Post
    Needless to say, because I'm in a different time zone (13 hours to Eastern time), my clock is nearly opposite, so a short clock would be difficult for me during everyone's waking hours. But I can easily do 12 hours. I sleep normally 11am to 6pm Eastern Time, which of course is when the bulk of the picks are made, oftentimes.

I lost one pick last year, my fourth round, I believe, because I woke up and didn't check right away. Waited to lunch time. I know better now.