Thread: New owner

New owner

Two hole is joining the league taking over for the last place team. This is year 2 of this team not being active in the lg.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

Aight.

Well good luck, Two-Hole. Welcome aboard.

May be 6 months before he realizes he's been booted. Welcome to the league 2-Hole

Just to clarify - did he decide to give up his team, or did the commish(es) boot him due to his hibernation?

QuoteOriginally Posted by Hutch Fan View Post
    Just to clarify - did he decide to give up his team, or did the commish(es) boot him due to his hibernation?
    More the latter. I let smitty know my plans. He was on board w it based on his replies. This was year 2 of hibernation and w 2 good candidates in the wings I felt it would be best to make the move now so the new owner could get his feet wet and do some work to set himself up for next year. Much better for the lg instead of giving a noob a team a couple weeks before the draft.

I was watching that team for awhile after Looking thru rosters for trade possibilities and gave it quite awhile before pulling the trigger. I mean Walden was in the starting lineup still as well as another DL guy.

Here's how it is, established owners will get the benefit of the doubt and every effort will be made to contact them up until closer to the draft as is the usual practice. In this case we had a newer owner who had the same issue the previous season. There's not as much of a grace period for those who have shown previously they can't actively manage their squad. Even if you're super busy you can DL the app and check things out while taking a ****ing shit every week or so.

Thanks for the opportunity and the welcomes. I promise to be a very active member despite the standings, as you can probably already tell.

Talking trades, I am a deadline seller. I'm interested in draft picks. Best offer wins.

The following players are available for trades - willing to take draft picks for them. Willing to trade multiples of these for your one piece. Not willing to take your multiples for my one piece.

Batters

Mesoraco - a good buy low & hold
    Calhoun
    Rios
    Pillar
    Danny Santana -a good buy low & hold
    Forsythe

Pitchers

Wade Davis
    W. Chen
    Volquez
    Shoemaker -a good bounceback candidate
    Gio Gonzalez
    Alex Cobb
    Last edited by two-hole; 08-02-2015 at 01:17 PM.

I've rethought some things, and decided to change course a bit.

These are the players I have available for prospects, picks, or otherwise longer term talent.

OF - Brett Gardner
    OF - Adam Jones
    SS - Ian Desmond - (a good bounce back candidate)
    1B,3B,OF - Chris Davis
    2B,1B - Logan Forsythe

SP - Hisashi Iwakuma (2-1, 2.83 ERA in last five starts since returning from injury. great stretch-run talent for an owner chasing a trophy)
    SP - Edinson Volquez
    SP - Wei-Yin Chen
    SP - Gio Gonzalez
    SP - Phil Hughes
    SP - Matt Shoemaker (2.72 ERA last two months - seems to have figured out his problem and now performing like his stellar last-year.)

RP - Wade Davis

Two Hole - Welcome!

I know you're a new owner, so I want to talk about something that's new to you, but we've encountered before: tanking.
    You've never encountered this precedent, so don't take anything personally - I just want to bring it up so you know where we stand.

A couple years ago we had a manager bench his entire team for several days, which appeared to be tanking. He stated it was an accident and undid it, but our league discussed the precedent: you can't intentionally tank (leave roster spots unfilled) for future benefit.

Your team is way behind in IP, and Games Played at most positions. We expect each manager to field a full roster, and try to use all their IPs and GPs.
    A couple days ago, you dropped your only catcher not on the 60-day DL, and have left that C spot unfilled today & onward while adding more inactive minor leaguers.
    You're -24 on C game usage already.

No one's going to get up your ass about a hole in one roster spot for one day - we generally try to be "hands-off" on governing each other in this league. I've done it myself to manage off-days or when certain positions get ahead of pace. [Then again, no one questions whether the 1st/2nd place team is trying to win or not. ] And almost no one comes close to getting all 162 used at C. But we do expect you not to leave any positions open for the rest of the year to hold more inactives.

Because we know this is your first time with us, I don't want to seem harsh about this - I just want to communicate clearly with the new guy:
    We expect your team to field a full active roster, and to try to use all your innings/games.

Make sense? Commishes, have I correctly stated our position?

Hutch is right about the roster stuff. However, I'm not going to police what two hole does with that roster from this point out. He inherited a mess and a team that hasn't been managed since at least before Walden went down. At this point I don't see much he could do to catch HC for 9th place. He's about 450 points behind him at this juncture. He's not going to make that up no matter how hard he tries.

I am fine with him making whatever moves he deems necessary from here on out without scrutiny. Tanking is not a concern. he's not getting out of the cellar.

But to give you an idea about how much I police, I don't do roster checks. I only noticed Two Holes team when I was going down the standings looking for trades I might want to offer each team. Many of you received offers from me over the past couple weeks. Those were the only times I looked at anyone's rosters.

He's not catching High Card, but he could very well catch STL Cowboys, who is over-pace on IP usage. The math is very achievable.

Hutch

Thanks for the explanation and your candor, though it was unnecessary. Just like a real GM, I intend to fill the field with a roster, even through a total rebuild. I believe it would be unfair to do anything but that. There's no intent to tank, either intentionally or through neglect. You'll simply have to be patient with me, for the reasons RBF described, as well as with the number of good faith hours I've already poured into this project. And I do appreciate your patience.

I've been up past midnight several nights (last night til 3:15) analyzing waiver wires, prospect rankings, other team's rosters, my roster, my talent vs. player-age, making 1-2-3 year out projections, and a dozen other things, trying to give this roster with an abundance of mediocrity a shot of promising youth to have a chance to compete in a few years. In one week, I've made as many Free Agent moves as the next two owners ahead of me in the standings, combined. I've proposed and received more than a dozen trades, completing two blockbusters, and have a few open as I type. I've traded two top-ten starting pitchers.

The catcher spot hasn't even missed a night of play yet. McCann was in the lineup last night. And today's games haven't even started. This roster had enough starting pitchers to put up max-level innings, the starting pitchers just weren't being plugged into position on the nights they started. This roster still has enough arms to plug that gap and reach max.

I guarantee over the last week, I've put more time into this than the 9 other owners combined, to the great disdain of my wife. I'm doing the best I can, and I'm sure that is evident by all the activity you can observe. I do thank you kindly for sharing the league's sentiments regarding tanking. I know you meant only to inform.

that being said, what do you want for Schwarber?

humbly,
    two-hole

No worries, man.
    I wouldn't blame you even if you did decide to go full Sam Hinkie & play without a catcher to hold extra assets. It's not a bad angle at all.

If we don't state the rule, it's not your fault to not be following it.

Also I reeeeeally don't plan on trading Schwarber. I think I've found something really special there with the OF/C thing.

He's not catching High Card, but he could very well catch STL Cowboys, who is over-pace on IP usage. The math is very achievable.
    And if HC uses his IP, he can easily become a first division team. Gotta give him credit for having a plan and sticking with it.

As for Schwarber....**** YOU SO VERY MUCH! I was literally wondering that morning if I should pick him up. I figured he'd be a few weeks away from a callup so I could sit on it for a bit and use the roster spot for an extra SP. Then the news comes out that he's getting called up and you beat me to him by maybe 3 minutes. Ugh...that's as annoying a miss as I've had in this league. I mean, it's not 'getting beat to the punch by 5 minutes on Jose Fernandez' bad (sorry RBF, just felt like twisting the knife), but it's pretty bad.

Yes, the OF/C thing is amazing. Sadly, Gattis won't have that luxury next season or I'd damn near have to keep the guy. You mention that nobody comes close to using their 162 catcher games but I did it last year with Santana and I'll do it again this year with Gattis. You'll manage the trick next year with Schwarber. It's essentially a free 50 points or so.

Dude, I was stalking Schwarber for months. They said they weren't going to call him up for interleague (I was reading Chicago newspaper columnists), then out of nowhere did. I was so relieved it didn't cost me my prey. Also, it's not just C/OF. He's also just an insane badass hitter. Might be the biggest C we've seen since Piazza. Or bigger. Even if he can't stick there enough to get 5 starts, he's going to be a killer OFer.

Dude, I was stalking Schwarber for months. They said they weren't going to call him up for interleague (I was reading Chicago newspaper columnists), then out of nowhere did. I was so relieved it didn't cost me my prey. Also, it's not just C/OF. He's also just an insane badass hitter. Might be the biggest C we've seen since Piazza. Or bigger. Even if he can't stick there enough to get 5 starts, he's going to be a killer OFer.
    Same. I'd been watching him all season and like you, I saw the damn report that they weren't going to call him up. I just figured I'd grab him anyway. I don't remember who I picked up that morning instead of him...but it will haunt me forever. The guy is a hitter through and through.