Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just signed mark Reynolds.

All these teams are throwing around money like they are politicians.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

So between Blanks, mayberry, and reynolds we got the most expensive guy.

Mo has spent $ on our bench. He just whiffs with his picks year after year.

I have little faith MM knows how to deploy his Adam Dunn type asset.

Moe don't do benches

Mo has an unfortunate recent string of bad luck betting on bench bargains. But he's had success before.

Nick Punto...

and...

ummm...

Well, Nick Punto.

QuoteOriginally Posted by two-hole View Post
    Mo has an unfortunate recent string of bad luck betting on bench bargains. But he's had success before.

Nick Punto...

and...

ummm...

Well, Nick Punto.
    The issue will continue to be that no one wants to be a backup on the Cardinals... especially at catcher.

QuoteOriginally Posted by two-hole View Post

Nick Punto...

and...

ummm...

Well, Nick Punto.
    Gerald Laird? If anything he was great for that out-of-the-dugout-can't-control-my-body moment after Freese's walkoff in Game 6.

OTOH, Mo has done an excellent job with the twilight stars. Berkman and Beltran, namely.

QuoteOriginally Posted by OzzieFan View Post
    The issue will continue to be that no one wants to be a backup on the Cardinals... especially at catcher.
    Every player wants to start. Every team needs backups. Once you accept that you are no longer starter material I would think being a backup on a winning team would have more appeal than on a loser. I understand the Molina thing, but there's nothing about the Cardinals generally that makes it unattractive for bench players.

QuoteOriginally Posted by paulie walnuts View Post
    Once you accept that you are no longer starter material
    you answered the question already.

As with all things, acceptance is key.

Marlins are reportedly signing Morse for 2/$12. Early reports said 2/$8, but that can't be right.

I am shocked he's not signing with an AL team. Orioles should have offered more.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Speedy G View Post
    Marlins are reportedly signing Morse for 2/$12. Early reports said 2/$8, but that can't be right.

I am shocked he's not signing with an AL team. Orioles should have offered more.
    The Royals gave Morales 2/17 and then Rios 1/11.

This guys better and cheaper than both of them.

Great deal by the Fish.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Oz-iz-God View Post
    This guys better and cheaper than both of them.
    But he gets hurt every year. Realistically, you could add 20% to get his effective salary. And he's a disaster in the field (where he is certainly more likely to injure himself). He'll give back half his value with terrible defense. There might not be a player in MLB better suited for DH role.

But the money here looks too reasonable for 2015, so I remain suspicious of the reports.

But he gets hurt every year. Realistically, you could add 20% to get his effective salary. And he's a disaster in the field (where he is certainly more likely to injure himself). He'll give back half his value with terrible defense. There might not be a player in MLB better suited for DH role.

But the money here looks too reasonable for 2015, so I remain suspicious of the reports.
    I'm not really talking about his fit on our team, but rather his fit on the Royals - a team that needed a DH and part-time RFer (who would be subbed for defense anyway).

It just seems to me that the Royals mis-fired on Rios and Morales if Morse could be had this cheap. Morales has more injury issues than Morse and Rios has really fallen off both offensively and defensively - putting up a whopping 1.3 WAR/season over the last 4 years.

I'd still have loved to bring the guy on board, but he'd have never gotten the playing time he wanted here so a FA contract was likely not going to happen in STL. I just don't understand how a team like KC doesn't trump that. Maybe he just really wanted to live in Miami.

Maybe he just really wanted to live in Miami.
    Or stay in the NL. He hasn't had much success in the other league. Someone needed to convince him that he's better off being a DH.

1.3 WAR per is about twice what Morse has done over the last four years. His defense destroys his value.

Morse surprises me with how bad his D is. IIRC he was a SS in the minors at one point.

We needed a legit right-handed threat off the bench, not a late inning defensive replacement. The Morse deal proves the Cards got swindled.

I should add that I don't want Reynolds platooning with Adams. Nor would I want Morse platooning with Adams.

It's not reported as 2 yr $16M plus incentives.

QuoteOriginally Posted by TCB 6-4-3 View Post
    It's not reported as 2 yr $16M plus incentives.
    That makes more sense. ESPN initially reported half that, LOL.

I guess that's not a terrible deal in this market (depends on incentives, maybe), but IMO nearly every contract signed this year has been a terrible deal for the fans.

Still think he'd have given an AL team much more value.

That makes more sense. ESPN initially reported half that, LOL.

I guess that's not a terrible deal in this market (depends on incentives, maybe), but IMO nearly every contract signed this year has been a terrible deal for the fans.

Still think he'd have given an AL team much more value.
    It isn't the fans who pay, really....it's anyone who pays for cable/satellite tv.

And you're right in the DH....after losing Cruz & markakis how do the orioles not beat that marlins deal?

It isn't the fans who pay, really....it's anyone who pays for cable/satellite tv.
    Which includes nearly every fan. Fans pay ridiculous ticket prices and even more ridiculous concession prices. They pay for mlb.tv, and most all of them pay for cable/satellite. MLB has taken their apparent windfall and divvied it up among the owners, players, agents, etc. The fans will always get screwed. Trickle up economics at work.

And you're right in the DH....after losing Cruz & markakis how do the orioles not beat that marlins deal?
    I know, right? O's have just sat on the sidelines. They could be looking at one of the worst corner OF combos in baseball. Maybe they will sign Rasmus.

I'd love Morse playing 1B vs LHP. Our production there would be killer.

QuoteOriginally Posted by IITC View Post
    We needed a legit right-handed threat off the bench, not a late inning defensive replacement. The Morse deal proves the Cards got swindled.

I should add that I don't want Reynolds platooning with Adams. Nor would I want Morse platooning with Adams.
    Huh?

The Cards got Reynolds for 1 year at 1/4 the AAV as Morse. The Morse deal most assuredly doesn't prove the Cards got 'swindled'. The Cards actually got an solid deal on Reynolds. It's not the approach I would take, but $2 million for a pretty hefty amount of RH power isn't a ridiculous deal at all.

Please explain how giving $8 million/season for 2 seasons to a guy that's even more defensively limited than Reynolds and also has substantial injury problems proves that the Cards were 'swindled'.

QuoteOriginally Posted by m.j.murphy View Post
    At TCU, Carpenter weighed 240 lbs. Think Matt Adams.
    Um, are you sure about that?

Maybe Matt Vern, but not Matt Carpenter. The guy was 208 and skinny as he is now.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum to view images.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum to view images.

QuoteOriginally Posted by kfmac70 View Post

Maybe Matt Vern, but not Matt Carpenter. The guy was 208 and skinny as he is now.
    This article says he ballooned up to 240 at one point in his TCU career:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/689327...-to-work-ethic

QuoteOriginally Posted by kfmac70 View Post

Freshman Matt Carpenter was evidently extremely fat. He blew out his elbow and spent his lost season working out and dropping weight, IIRC.

directly south of Lake Michigan and an abandoned steel mill
    Freshman Matt Carpenter was evidently extremely fat. He blew out his elbow and spent his lost season working out and dropping weight, IIRC.
    Speaking of MCarp and TCU, just announced today, http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-base...111714aaa.html.

Carpenter Headlines Coaches Clinic

Good catch and my apologies. All I knew of Carpenter was the latter part of his career at TCU and the pictures seemed to confirm what I remembered him to look like. When I saw the shots of Matt Vern, I thought someone might have gotten them confused because he does have a little Adams in him.

Huh?

The Cards got Reynolds for 1 year at 1/4 the AAV as Morse. The Morse deal most assuredly doesn't prove the Cards got 'swindled'. The Cards actually got an solid deal on Reynolds. It's not the approach I would take, but $2 million for a pretty hefty amount of RH power isn't a ridiculous deal at all.

Please explain how giving $8 million/season for 2 seasons to a guy that's even more defensively limited than Reynolds and also has substantial injury problems proves that the Cards were 'swindled'.
    I cheerfully retract my comment (as it was made after reading in another thread his deal was 2 yrs/$8 million). 2 yrs / $16 million is another story.