Thread: So...hockey thread?

I agree. Why not give Binnington a shot if Allen needs a night off?
    Register or log in to view signatures!

Today, 02:20 PM
    paulie walnuts
    JohnD is my BITCH
    This message is hidden because paulie walnuts is on your ignore list.
    View Post
    Remove user from ignore list

QuoteOriginally Posted by John D View Post
    paulie walnuts
    JohnD is my BITCH
    View Post
    Indeed he is.

Today, 03:09 PM
    paulie walnuts
    JohnD is my BITCH
    View Post

QuoteOriginally Posted by Oz-iz-God View Post
    Yes and no.

History says that the trade value for goalies is actually really lousy...or at the very least surprisingly static. A decent goalie prospect will get you a 2nd rounder (Bishop) whereas a solid NHL goalie will likely yield you a third line forward or that same 2nd rounder (if you're lucky).

I can't figure out goalie trade value at all, to be honest. I think the best trend I can find is that teams will pay for young goalies or guys with post-season pedigrees that they think can be an everyday starter down the stretch. So someone like Semyon Varlamov nets a 1st rounder because the 'lanche think he can be a long-term fixture in goal. Miller yields a similar return because the Blues think he gets them over the top. When the Blues traded for just a decent veteran goalie in Chris Mason, they gave up about nothing to get him.

If anyone wanted Brodeur, they could've had him. He's been looking for work all year and just signed for the pro-rated veterans minimum. I'd be shocked if there was a market for him. The league saw the tape on him last year; he's gassed. He's a competent backup and 'coach on the ice' but that's not going to get you anything in return.
    I didn't think they'd get much. But a proven-ready brodie to a team needing a backup down the stretch is worth a lot more inseason to a needy team than preseason to a team who already has its goalie situation set for the upcoming year. maybe no one will be in that position. but i'd take a 3rd round pick from a team unexpectedly needing a backup down the stretch. hey, that's something.

He's like Justin Masterson. A rebound gamble who could provide a short term spark to a team in need of starter innings. He didn't work out. But John Smoltz did a few years prior. Finished the year here strong.

We signed the justin masterson Brodie. If he proves himself to be the john smoltz Brodie, there's a decent chance he'll be worth something to somebody.

QuoteOriginally Posted by paulie walnuts View Post

Quote Originally Posted by John D
    paulie walnuts
    JohnD is my BITCH
    View Post
    Indeed he is.

QuoteOriginally Posted by two-hole View Post
    I didn't think they'd get much. But a proven-ready brodie to a team needing a backup down the stretch is worth a lot more inseason to a needy team than preseason to a team who already has its goalie situation set for the upcoming year. maybe no one will be in that position. but i'd take a 3rd round pick from a team unexpectedly needing a backup down the stretch. hey, that's something.

He's like Justin Masterson. A rebound gamble who could provide a short term spark to a team in need of starter innings. He didn't work out. But John Smoltz did a few years prior. Finished the year here strong.

We signed the justin masterson Brodie. If he proves himself to be the john smoltz Brodie, there's a decent chance he'll be worth something to somebody.
    Fatuous logic. Completely fatuous.

QuoteOriginally Posted by two-hole View Post

We shall see. Last I checked there were still several available FA veteran goalies still unsigned. I just don't see why a team would part with an asset for Brodeur.

We shall see. Last I checked there were still several available FA veteran goalies still unsigned. I just don't see why a team would part with an asset for Brodeur.
    I think the Blues are counting on a short stay for Brodeur or at least hoping for one

Just a vent....

Over the past 30 some years, I have watched this SAME Blues/BlackHawks game more times than I can count and I am just so so sick of it.

Tight game... Hawks get a goal to untie it. Then another goal within 20-30 seconds and the rout is on.

Absolutely sickening.

Brodeur starting tonight in Nashville.

Today, 11:19 AM
    paulie walnuts
    Lily-White Vermont - the home of racial diversity and society's better angels
    View Post

Just a vent....

Over the past 30 some years, I have watched this SAME Blues/BlackHawks game more times than I can count and I am just so so sick of it.

Tight game... Hawks get a goal to untie it. Then another goal within 20-30 seconds and the rout is on.

Absolutely sickening.
    I got sick of the Blues and their annual playoff flops long, long ago. I rarely watch a regular season game of theirs anymore. Unless it happens to be on at a public establishment. Plus I utterly despise the overtime point rule. One of the worst concepts ever devised in sports. But that's a discussion for another day.
    Last edited by JMolina; 12-04-2014 at 12:20 PM.

To be a Blues fan you just have to be akin to a Cub fan.

QuoteOriginally Posted by barnbird View Post
    To be a Blues fan you just have to be akin to a Cub fan.
    Unjust comparison. The Blues have more postseason appearances.

QuoteOriginally Posted by STJOMO View Post
    Unjust comparison. The Blues have more postseason appearances.
    Chiefs fan. Tons of post-season appearances, often as #1 seeds, tons of post-season flame outs. Where the Chiefs can't ever get QB right and had their only modicum of success with past their prime legends (Montana), the Blues do the same with goalies (Fuhr).

For every failed Wayne Gretzky acquisition in Blues lore, there's a Marcus Allen. Hell, for every Joel Queneville there's a Marv Levy. The comparisons could probably go on for days.

They're the same franchise in different sports.

EXCEPT... the Chiefs actually won one.

They are the Cubs of Hockey. Its not about postseason appearances. Hell half the league makes it too postseason. It is about setting up fan's hopes, and then letting them down time and time again.

QuoteOriginally Posted by NoPenCards View Post
    They are the Cubs of Hockey. Its not about postseason appearances. Hell half the league makes it too postseason. It is about setting up fan's hopes, and then letting them down time and time again.
    The Leafs are the Cubs of hockey. Original team that purports to be among hockey's elite and hasn't won a damn thing in generations despite financial advantages other teams would kill for. Well times implosions and largely insane fanbases are the hallmark of both franchises.

Toronto is much more analogous.

Heaven for men and dogs, Hell for women and horses
    Speaking of hockey...went to my first hockey game ever tonight in San Jose. Sat on the front row on the glass next to the penalty box. A couple of thoughts:

1. Those hockey boys are big.
    2. They move really, really fast. Way faster in person than they appear on TV.

199.9 miles east of mecca (Busch Stadium)
    QuoteOriginally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    Speaking of hockey...went to my first hockey game ever tonight in San Jose. Sat on the front row on the glass next to the penalty box. A couple of thoughts:

1. Those hockey boys are big.
    2. They move really, really fast. Way faster in person than they appear on TV.
    Hudson,

With you on this...I've been to 1 NHL game and several minor league hockey games. The speed of the game is really much faster than on TV. The biggest difference between NHL and minors to me is the speed.......The number of and speed of line changes is also very interesting.....many moving parts........enjoyable game to watch in person.....I think going to a NHL game should be on a person's bucket list......

199.9 miles east of mecca (Busch Stadium)
    Brodeur, for the first time in his career, appeared in a game for a team other than the New Jersey Devils and allowed four goals on 24 shots.
    Have to give the guy a break, fist game since April......first Blues' loss when scoring at least 3 goals.....

I don't pin that loss on Brodeur at all. Most of those goals he had no chance on. Someone other than Tarasenko is going to have to start scoring some goals.

And as to the other points above, if you've never been to an NHL game in person you should definitely do yourself a favor and attend one. Even if you're not a super fan, it's a totally different experience live. You can see the whole ice and watch a play develop rather than only seeing 1/3 of the ice the entire time. And the speed is amazing and totally lost on television, IMO.

With Brodeur being with the Blues now it got me thinking about some of the great players we've had and Blues history in general.

They’ve now had the winningest coach in NHL history (and 5 of the top 7), winningest goalie in NHL history (and 6 of the top 10), and best goal scorer in NHL history (and 2 of the top 3 at the same time).
    17 Hall of Fame Players with 5 on the same team twice.
    They’ve played 47 seasons. Made the playoffs 38 times including 25 years in a row.
    They have 0 Stanley Cups.

6 100 point teams, 3 of whom lost in the 1st round, 5 of whom didn’t even reach the Conference Finals, none of whom reached the Stanley Cup Finals.

During the first 3 years, they had the winningest coach in NHL history, 5 Hall of Famers, a 6 time All-Star, and a 4 time-All Star play for the team. They had a Conn Smythe winner, Lady Bing winner, and 2 goalies split a Vezina. Didn’t win a single playoff game against a non-expansion team.

1980-81-107 point team. Winners of the Masterson, Adams, Pearson awards. 1 Hall of Famer, 3 All Stars. Lost in 2nd Round.

1990-91-105 point team. 3 Hall of Famers, 2 All Stars. Winners of Hart, Adams, Pearson Awards. Lost in 2nd Round.

1995-96-5 Hall of Famers and a 5 time All Star. Lost in 2nd round

1999-00-114 Points, Winners of Presidents, Adams, Hart, Norris, Lady Bing, Jennings Awards. Also had a Hall of Famer who won Norris the season before. 4 All Stars. Lost in 1st round.

2011-12-109 points, Winners of Adams, Jennings, GM of Year. Lost in 2nd Round

2013-14-111 points, 10 Olympians, lost in 1st round.

How the hell have they never won?

QuoteOriginally Posted by Mike1 View Post
    1999-00-114 Points, Winners of Presidents, Adams, Hart, Norris, Lady Bing, Jennings Awards. Also had a Hall of Famer who won Norris the season before. 4 All Stars. Lost in 1st round.
    This is the one that stings me the most. Man.

For non-stop action, speed, dexterity, precision, physical strength and skill set, hockey is the most exciting sport there is -- bar none. There' s nothing quite like seeing it live, where you feel as if you are (almost) in the center of the action, but I also love watching it on the tube, too. HD is a vast improvement over the old over-the-air analogue broadcasts.
    Last edited by STJOMO; 12-05-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Bruins have had a front office exec at the Blues games on consecutive nights, said to be eyeing a forward.

QuoteOriginally Posted by STJOMO View Post
    HD is a vast improvement over the old over-the-air analogue broadcasts.
    But Fox was so helpful back then!

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/359...rax-puck-o.gif

Halak tearing it up with the Islanders.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/06/sp...roll.html?_r=0

QuoteOriginally Posted by JMolina View Post
    Halak tearing it up with the Islanders.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/06/sp...roll.html?_r=0
    Knowing the Blues' history, you half expect Halak to take the Icelanders to the Stanley Cup this year.

Knowing the Blues' history, you half expect Halak to take the Icelanders to the Stanley Cup this year.
    That's not painful enough for Blues history. He'll get traded to the Red Wings and lead them to the cup.

directly south of Lake Michigan and an abandoned steel mill
    That's strange. I thought Halak was a Slovak and not an Icelander.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum to view images.
    Last edited by Indiana Dave; 12-06-2014 at 11:02 AM.

"Icelanders" is a derogatory nickname used by the NY sports media for the local hockey team on Long Island.

Credit for the nickname goes to this guy:

http://www.theawl.com/2010/03/in-pra...s-steve-somers

Showed a lot of guts today, coming back from a 3 goal deficit and then overcoming a sucker punch by the ref on a bogus tripping call which led to another NYI goal. Power Play made the difference. Marty was again very good.

Those goals from Stastny are the type of goals the Blues historically NEVER get.

He's the real deal.

"Icelanders" is a derogatory nickname used by the NY sports media for the local hockey team on Long Island.

Credit for the nickname goes to this guy:

http://www.theawl.com/2010/03/in-pra...s-steve-somers
    WFAN. One of the best all sports radio stations in the country. Being a Jersey boy growing up, I still listen to them online for information and commentary.
    Somers is the guy who always says the 'Metropolitans' (aka Mets) and the 'Knickerbockers.'

http://tunein.com/radio/WFAN-Sports-Radio-660-s28671/
    Last edited by JMolina; 12-06-2014 at 04:17 PM.

QuoteOriginally Posted by JMolina View Post
    WFAN. One of the best all sports radio stations in the country. Being a Jersey boy growing up, I still listen to them online for information and commentary.
    Somers is the guy who always says the 'Metropolitans' (aka Mets) and the 'Knickerbockers.'

http://tunein.com/radio/WFAN-Sports-Radio-660-s28671/
    They looked like Icelanders today.

What a choke job.

directly south of Lake Michigan and an abandoned steel mill
    Should be called the Idlelanders because they are always idle at playoff time.

Tarisenko shoots the puck like a young Brett Hull.

Love this team, but they're gonna break my heart.

Today, 07:47 AM
    paulie walnuts
    alphamale on betablockers
    View Post

The Blues and the Black Hawks rivalry should be a good one for years to come. It's just too bad the Dead Things got moved East.

there's no quit in this team. they're steady and even keeled. they never appear to believe they're out of the game. and with tarasenko, they never are.

Let's hear you say this in May.

Nice win over the Kings last night after falling behind 2-0 I almost turned it off.

QuoteOriginally Posted by LOB View Post
    The Blues and the Black Hawks rivalry should be a good one for years to come. It's just too bad the Dead Things got moved East.
    I know some Blues fans that say this, but man I just completely disagree.

Thank GOD those ice dancing, cheating ****sticks got moved East. I was really tired of watching Shanahan suspend our guys for 3 games for breathing on them. I was more than fed up with 5 minute majors for boarding after a Wings defensemen tripped over his skate.

You were never just playing the Wings when you played the Wings. You were always playing on slanted ice and I just got tired of it. I love not seeing those guys anymore - the East can have 'em.

Tarasenko and Schwartz are both capable of putting up 40 goal seasons at their peak. Tarasenko is the sniper we've been waiting for since Hull left and Schwartz may be the most complete scorer on the roster since Demitra.
    Tank - what a friggen shot on that guy. It's not even the velocity or accuracy on the shot itself that is so impressive, it's the release. One stride and the puck is off his stick like a slapper. His second goal yesterday was on a puck he even fumbled a bit as he was trying to corral it; he wasn't able to bring the puck back clean to load up at all.

I've been a little disappointed in Schwartz this year in that I'm not seeing the creativity I saw last season but Tarasenko has taken every drop of potential he showed in that Hawks series last year and carried it over into this season. Broadcast crews talk about offering him a 'bridge' contract to take him through to his age 26 season but I don't think the Blues can afford to do that. If he hits the market, he's getting Toews money. They should approach him this offseason and look to make him a future cornerstone. They did it with Pietrangelo and they should do it with Tarasenko as well. If they can get him locked into a 7-8 yr deal for 7 mil/season by leveraging his RFA years, they should definitely do so.

Broadcast crews talk about offering him a 'bridge' contract to take him through to his age 26 season but I don't think the Blues can afford to do that. If he hits the market, he's getting Toews money. They should approach him this offseason and look to make him a future cornerstone. They did it with Pietrangelo and they should do it with Tarasenko as well. If they can get him locked into a 7-8 yr deal for 7 mil/season by leveraging his RFA years, they should definitely do so.
    I agree 100% with you here. Was talking earlier today with Deuce and cap space may be an issue, but they should definitely do everything they can to lock him up. He is 100% legit. Long live Russian Jesus.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Moon Man 18 View Post
    I agree 100% with you here. Was talking earlier today with Deuce and cap space may be an issue, but they should definitely do everything they can to lock him up. He is 100% legit. Long live Russian Jesus.
    If the cap goes up by about $4 million as expected, then you trade Berglund and Ott (I give zero !@#$s about the return on either of those clowns), you'll have an additional $10 million (4 in increase, 6 in trade). You could also move Gunnarson and his $4 million next season pretty easily with the emergence of Cole and Lindbohlm.

So can you bring back Jax and Cole while getting Allen signed to a 2-year deal and still have the money for Tarasenko? I think you could pretty easily. Jackman's making 3.1 this season and I don't expect he'd get much of a raise on that figure. Cole and Allen are both RFAs so you'd be looking at maybe an extra $1.5 million total between the two of them. The Blues are only committed to $55 million in salary next season and could get that to $47 by moving Berglund, Ott and Gunnarson and replacing them with Jaskin, Rattie and Lindbohlm. At that point they'd have more than $25 million to replace LaPierre and Lindstrom, re-sign Cole, Allen and Jax while extending Tarasenko. That should be extremely easy to manage, especially if they decide that Fabbri is NHL ready.

...especially if they decide that Fabbri is NHL ready.
    Are you Doug Armstrong? Come on now, be honest.

Also, I like the way Fabbri is looking but he will only be 19 at the beginning of next season. Even if they did decide he's ready can you really expect that much from him?