Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031
Results 1,501 to 1,543 of 1543

Thread: So...hockey thread?

Blues again lived up to their standard. When you are named after depression you play with depression.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

QuoteOriginally Posted by John D View Post
    So, Armey could have traded Berglund for him, right?
    more of that JD logic I just love.

"Berglund is terrible. He has utterly failed to perform anywhere near his expectations. Army should dump his lame ass. I can't believe they extended this bum. It's so obvious to even me; how could a professional hockey General Manager not see it?! What an idiot.

PK Subban is really good. What a steal. A playoff difference maker. That's the kind of player every team needs.

Army is an walking buffoon for not trading the miserable bum Berglund for the star Subban."

Serious vapors with this one. So tender

QuoteOriginally Posted by two-hole View Post
    more of that JD logic I just love.
    If it weren't for hindsight he'd be Stevie Wonder

QuoteOriginally Posted by TCB 6-4-3 View Post
    Bite me punk

QuoteOriginally Posted by taiwan killian View Post
    Blues again lived up to their standard. When you are named after depression you play with depression.
    sigh.

Who decided to give them that name anyway ?

Sitting in a client's lobby waiting for an appointment. Had to stifle a big loud guffaw on that one.

QuoteOriginally Posted by paulie walnuts View Post
    Sitting in a client's lobby waiting for an appointment. Had to stifle a big loud guffaw on that one.
    Gee, by being a dick like that, no one would know you would be counting on me for anything.

Go right ahead and line up with a brain dead liberal like Jesse. It suits you.

Oh my, so angry! What's up your arse today, son?

Don't confuse anger with contempt

Don't confuse anger with contempt
    You're never short of either, seems. Sad!

Earlier today Army & Yeo held an end of season presser. I don't know if its common among GMs in hockey, but I found Army to be incredibly candid. He was openly critical of certain players as well as himself. Maybe I'm used to baseball (and Mozeliak) where everything is always rosie & politically correct.

For example (paraphrasing). Army was asked about Lehtera's season & he admitted the extension was a huge mistake, he hinted that Lehtera didn't work very hard in the offseason before circling back and saying both the player and the team have a mutual obligation to ensure players develop.

He was asked about the Fabbri & was openly critical of his conditioning entering the season & hoped Fabbri learned his lesson.

In regards to the Sabotka situation Army was pretty candid that he was probably too rigid when Sabotka demanded more money before moving to the KHL. He pretty much admitted that Sabotka called his bluff. It seemed like he admitted there was originally some contempt when Sabotka demanded to be paid like a free agent when he hadn't yet gotten there. When Army finally came back to the bargaining table, it seems a deal happened pretty quickly because Sabotka really wanted to stay in the NHL.

You're never short of either, seems. Sad!
    Just giving people what they so richly earn.

Dammit, Caps can't win a game 7, and now that 2nd Rd pick is in jeopardy.

Preds beat the Ducks in an exciting series I was pulling for the Preds since I have no love for the Ducks.

QuoteOriginally Posted by barnbird View Post
    Preds beat the Ducks in an exciting series I was pulling for the Preds since I have no love for the Ducks.
    Preds lost 2 of their top forwards to injury - but no excuses from them.

Hope they win it all.

Think of how long they've been without a championship. Or don't

So a group of fans who needed hockey rules printed on the back of their let's go preds sign is going to see their team lift a cup before we do. This just furthers my conviction that god hates us.

Another late May, and another chance to discuss some other team that had made the Cup finals. This thread has a familiar rhythm.

I'll be honest, this Preds team is just fun. Fun to watch, easy to root for. And you know what? Who cares that their fans needed the rules printed out for them? There's more love and emotion in that building than almost any other. You have the Titans players showing up for every game and going nuts. You have one guy in one section starting and leading long, intricate chants with everyone following along. You have people tossing massive fish onto the ice and then the ice girls will pick them up and skate them around for all to see. I don't care if these "traditions" are manufactured, those people are having a HELL of a time. I'm jealous of more than their Cup final bid.

So, they have to learn the rules? Good for them. We went through the same thing in St. Louis so many decades ago. I sent in for a free rulebook Channel 11 made available during the Blues' first season. It was called Hockey: Where the Action Is. Learned a lot from it.

QuoteOriginally Posted by STJOMO View Post
    So, they have to learn the rules? Good for them. We went through the same thing in St. Louis so many decades ago. I sent in for a free rulebook Channel 11 made available during the Blues' first season. It was called Hockey: Where the Action Is. Learned a lot from it.
    It used to be fun here too - until we realized every single expansion team was destined to win before us.

The choke against the Kings went down really hard.

QuoteOriginally Posted by STJOMO View Post
    Yeah during the first season. They've had a team for 20 years.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Mike1 View Post
    Yeah during the first season. They've had a team for 20 years.
    20 years is a good interval at which to claim your first championship.

20 years is a good interval at which to claim your first championship.
    I doubt they will though. I don't see them beating the Eastern Conference champ.

I doubt they will though. I don't see them beating the Eastern Conference champ.
    You didn't see them beating the Ducks

You didn't see them beating the Ducks
    Huh?? When did I ever say that.

I knew nothing about the Ducks. I certainly didn't pick them to beat the Predators., I haven't seen them play a game all year. I never made a prediction because I had no f'n idea. I have seen the Pens & Sens though and I think the Pred's injuries will be too much for them to overcome in the Finals.

Our new assistant coaches: Darryl Sydor and Steve Ott

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/25/...sistant-coach/

The answer to the chase for the cup eh ?

A double overtime Game 7 for the ages last night as Pittsburgh topped Ottawa.

I'll be rooting for the Preds in the finals but it will be an uphill climb.

A double overtime Game 7 for the ages last night as Pittsburgh topped Ottawa.

I'll be rooting for the Preds in the finals but it will be an uphill climb.
    I was so hoping you'd be all in for the Penguins so the Predators would have a chance.

I was so hoping you'd be all in for the Penguins so the Predators would have a chance.
    John:

I wish you great health and much happiness for the remainder of your days.

Craziest thing ever seen in a hockey game. Pittsburgh goes nearly 2 periods without a shot on goal. (37.09 to be exact.) Then the shot they get turns out to be the eventual game winner.

Is it time for the NHL Stanley Cup Final to be completely on NBC?

http://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/time-...etely-nbc.html

@Oz, i'm disappointed no commentary from you on the new hire. You thought you got rid of Steve Ott...

Barret Jackman back with the Blues...as Player Development coach, i believe.

Glad to see Ott and Jackman back on the staff so they can teach guys how to blow breakaways and then take ill-advised offensive zone penalties out of frustration.

Then make that really intense, pained face so that fans realize 'how much these guys want to win!'.

Skating? Nah, can't teach that. Passing? Nah. Shooting? Nope. Hitting? Y'know you'd think maybe but no, Jackman and Ott pretty much sucked at that as well.

But I tell ya, fumbling passes, putting the puck into your teammates skates, shooting directly into the goalie's chest protector, committing back-breaking penalties at horrible times and looking really bug-eyed and frustrated....they'll be ****ing AWESOME at teaching all that stuff.

Gotta love this goddamn organization, man. Let's double down on the same shit that hasn't worked for 20 years by bringing in guys that were part of said same shit that didn't work for 20 years and have them teach the young kids. Good luck lads.

Oh, and we all apologize again, Vlad. We're sorry that you're wasting your prime on this sorry excuse for a franchise. History will remember you fondly, even if you don't remember your history here the same...

QuoteOriginally Posted by Oz-iz-God View Post
    Fire him and replace him with Gabe Kapler for all I care (Kapler at least isn't openly and obviously stupid; Kapler's interviews are top shelf stuff).

And there's always Ron Wotus. I still don't know why Tim Bogar wasn't given a better shot.

Mike Matheny is an objectively SHIT manager and his interview two days ago further demonstrated that he's not only terrible, but he's also divisive and defensive. Every single bad trait a manager can have, Mike Matheny has. He's not a leader. He's not a tactician. He's a ****ing whining dolt who singles out rookies for criticism and hampers their development while trotting corpses like Brandon Moss out on the field (then yaps about rookies being unable to come into their own).

The guy ****ing sucks. You sound like Tigers fans supporting Kim Anderson - "Well we couldn't get Mike Krzyzewski so we should probably just stick with Anderson..."

There are literally hundreds of people who would be better managers than Mike Matheny, including people on this board (and yes, I am confident I would do a better job than that ****ing clown). He's an idiot. It's not his fault he wasn't born bright, but he is exactly who he appears to be - a stupid jock. But because he's a stupid jock that found Jesus, I'm supposed to believe he's a leader. That's the SOLE reason people think he's any kind of harmonious presence: he wears his God on his sleeve. Take that away - take away the bible study bullshit - and what has he EVER done to demonstrate that he can handle personalities.

**** him - fire him and replace him with Oquendo if need be. There's no reason to have extended him because there was absolutely no reason at all to continue to employ the goddamn dunce.
    I would like to renew my call for Gabe Kapler.

QuoteOriginally Posted by two-hole View Post
    fire him when you've got a replacement good and ready. or...extend him and wait for a replacement to come available.

you don't just fire him and then say "okay, shit, now what?" and you don't go into his walk year without an extension and create a 2017 circus show.
    Nah, we just extended him and created a 2017 clown show. That's way better.

Good call. Gotta keep Mikey around because what happens if someone's actually worse than him? Like what if John Mozeliak inadvertently hired a labrador retriever to manage the team rather than a real live human being? I mean I'm not worried that the lab would make worse decisions than Matheny but that tail could cause some real damage to Carlos's cup towers.

Then again, it would probably be better for morale. Who can really be upset when there's a labby boppin' around being all smiley and waggy and shit? "Crap....struck out with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 out again....but who's a good boy!!! {patpatpat} Yeah...you're a good boy, aren't you fido. Such a good doggy" And suddenly your strikeout just doesn't feel so bad anymore.

**** it - Labrador Retriever for manager! Fly a banner!
    Last edited by Oz-iz-God; 06-07-2017 at 09:44 AM.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Oz-iz-God View Post
    Nah, we just extended him and created a 2017 clown show. That's way better.

Good call. Gotta keep Mikey around because what happens if someone's actually worse than him? Like what if John Mozeliak inadvertently hired a labrador retriever to manage the team rather than a real live human being? I mean I'm not worried that the lab would make worse decisions than Matheny but that tail could cause some real damage to Carlos's cup towers.

Then again, it would probably be better for morale. Who can really be upset when there's a labby boppin' around being all smiley and waggy and shit? "Crap....struck out with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 out again....but who's a good boy!!! {patpatpat} Yeah...you're a good boy, aren't you fido. Such a good doggy" And suddenly your strikeout just doesn't feel so bad anymore.

**** it - Labrador Retriever for manager! Fly a banner!
    yeah, i joined you a long time ago, on this board, on "warm body. any body."

QuoteOriginally Posted by Moon Man 18 View Post
    I'll be honest, this Preds team is just fun. Fun to watch, easy to root for. And you know what? Who cares that their fans needed the rules printed out for them? There's more love and emotion in that building than almost any other. You have the Titans players showing up for every game and going nuts. You have one guy in one section starting and leading long, intricate chants with everyone following along. You have people tossing massive fish onto the ice and then the ice girls will pick them up and skate them around for all to see. I don't care if these "traditions" are manufactured, those people are having a HELL of a time. I'm jealous of more than their Cup final bid.
    I’ve lived in Nashville since late 2005, and it’s amazing to see how hockey crazy this town has become. My wife and I had Predators season tickets for about 5 years until we started having kids. Attending games at the Bridgestone (or all the other names the arena has had in the past) has always been a blast…kind of a college type atmosphere, especially with all the chants. Luckily, both my job and my wife’s employer has season tickets, so we still attend several games a year.

It always annoyed me slightly because the organization always took a “Little Team that Could” mentality up until the last couple of seasons. Part of that changed when they replaced Barry Trotz with Peter Laviolette (one could make the argument that Trotz is the NHL equivalent of Tony LaRussa, minus the championships). The other key moments in the transformation from the “Little Team that Could” to a franchise believing in itself occurred with the acquisitions of Ryan Johansen (trading away Seth Jones) and PK Subban. Took some guts from David Poile to trade Shea Weber, especially as beloved as Weber was in Nashville.

Things really clicked this year, going from a team that maybe could win big to a team that expects to win big. You could see the difference on the ice this season. Won’t say I expected to be within 2 wins of winning a Stanley Cup, but I did expect this team to make some noise in the playoffs. Even better is how Cup Crazy Nashville has become. Watch parties all over the city and outside the arena. Preds Pride Days in the office for every game. Ticket prices on the secondary market (temptation would have been there to make a fortune had we kept our season tickets). It’s been a fun ride so far. Just somehow, someway need to win one in Pittsburgh.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Cardman Matt View Post
    I’ve lived in Nashville since late 2005, and it’s amazing to see how hockey crazy this town has become. My wife and I had Predators season tickets for about 5 years until we started having kids. Attending games at the Bridgestone (or all the other names the arena has had in the past) has always been a blast…kind of a college type atmosphere, especially with all the chants. Luckily, both my job and my wife’s employer has season tickets, so we still attend several games a year.

It always annoyed me slightly because the organization always took a “Little Team that Could” mentality up until the last couple of seasons. Part of that changed when they replaced Barry Trotz with Peter Laviolette (one could make the argument that Trotz is the NHL equivalent of Tony LaRussa, minus the championships). The other key moments in the transformation from the “Little Team that Could” to a franchise believing in itself occurred with the acquisitions of Ryan Johansen (trading away Seth Jones) and PK Subban. Took some guts from David Poile to trade Shea Weber, especially as beloved as Weber was in Nashville.

Things really clicked this year, going from a team that maybe could win big to a team that expects to win big. You could see the difference on the ice this season. Won’t say I expected to be within 2 wins of winning a Stanley Cup, but I did expect this team to make some noise in the playoffs. Even better is how Cup Crazy Nashville has become. Watch parties all over the city and outside the arena. Preds Pride Days in the office for every game. Ticket prices on the secondary market (temptation would have been there to make a fortune had we kept our season tickets). It’s been a fun ride so far. Just somehow, someway need to win one in Pittsburgh.
    The Subban trade is the type that GM's with balls make and the others don't.

I guess it's true what some say. Fans in St. Louis don't care about hockey once the Blues are done. Pity.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainmen...4c0474f1d.html

The Cup Finals was far more entertaining.