Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quasi-weekly update - 2012.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Hutch Fan View Post
    We've still got 2 opposing SP matchups. Nothing's near done yet.
    Not 'done', but that's a staggering blow.

It would be a nice swift kick to the gonads if we were tied, but with me 30 points down it was a 20 point swing that I simply could not afford, especially not with the NDs and the pusstastic outing I got from Fister.

I may not be drawing dead, but it's certainly a short stack and I'm praying for the single card on the river to bail me out...
    Register or log in to view signatures!

QuoteOriginally Posted by Oz-iz-God View Post
    Not 'done', but that's a staggering blow.

It would be a nice swift kick to the gonads if we were tied, but with me 30 points down it was a 20 point swing that I simply could not afford, especially not with the NDs and the pusstastic outing I got from Fister.

I may not be drawing dead, but it's certainly a short stack and I'm praying for the single card on the river to bail me out...
    Well, you just managed to get Melancon of all people to wiggle out of a Yankees bases loaded, 1 out, Tex & Cano up, and the -6 points that would have come from the run and loss.

Well, you just managed to get Melancon of all people to wiggle out of a Yankees bases loaded, 1 out, Tex & Cano up, and the -6 points that would have come from the run and loss.
    That's almost as miraculous as Barry Zito shutting the Dodgers down in a game the Dodgers actually gave a crap about.

Colorado/Arizona washes out, Zito keeps the Dodgers buried and even with the Haren L, looks like you're be almost unassailable tomorrow.

I can't decide how irritated at myself I am right now. I think....very.

That's almost as miraculous as Barry Zito shutting the Dodgers down in a game the Dodgers actually gave a crap about.

Colorado/Arizona washes out, Zito keeps the Dodgers buried and even with the Haren L, looks like you're be almost unassailable tomorrow.

I can't decide how irritated at myself I am right now. I think....very.
    The Dodgers have now won 11 straight games Zito pitched. He's fighting for a playoff rotation spot. And the Giants' lineup loads up well against southpaws with righties and switch hitters. Against their arch-rival, they were gonna try to play spoiler. He was a good bet.

Congrats Hutch.

Nothing sucks more than someone coming back to take the ship after you lead for most of the way.

I'm just happy I won $200 for the championship in my money lg this yr. my dynasty team is a hot mess.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Redbirdfan1 View Post
    Congrats Hutch.

Nothing sucks more than someone coming back to take the ship after you lead for most of the way.

I'm just happy I won $200 for the championship in my money lg this yr. my dynasty team is a hot mess.
    Thanks, man. Coming back from 500 points out was thrilling & the end was terrifying. It should be a lesson to future competitors not to quit fighting when you're way behind in July.

Oz put up a great fight, and 24 points on 9500 is razor-thin. Best race ever.

Congrats to risk, too, I suppose, for finally fielding a competitive team after all this time.

Dear Andrew Bailey - murder yourself.

I know, I know, it's never one player. But let's say it's just a 10 point save instead of the -11 point implosion, that's a 21 point swing plus Hutch's 5 point L that Phelps got off the hook for - boom: 26 points to cover the margin of victory.

What a way to lose a league. Triple Crown season, best rookie season potentially ever, fantastic year from Edwin (who I've had every season over the last 5 but this one), great year from Reyes....and I would've survived it on the backs of some dynamite SP performances but/for the absolute dumpster fire that is Andrew Bailey.

Great season, Hutch. In July I said to myself that there's just too much offensive depth on this team for me to finish with less than the 9500 I figured I'd need to win it. I figured I could take at least 3 or 4 hits and keep on chugging. Then Ruiz, Votto, Melky and Lawrie all went down and Wright, Beltran and Andrus completely cratered. 70% of my starters over the first 4 months became complete non-factors. When my guys blew a tire, you were right there and hit the mark I figured it would take.

I did everything I could to hold that tottering mess together, it just wasn't enough. Trout handed off his "God-Mode" password to Miggy when he finally cooled a little bit and that was just enough for Hutch to blow on by.

Crap. Crap crap crap. I hate you so very much, Andrew Bailey. So very, very much.

As a 2012 Heath Bell owner, I sympathize. I'm like an abused dog... assuming the worst and scared of everything now.
    I did everything I could to hold that tottering mess together, it just wasn't enough.
    You were bound to regress to the mean, and I was bound to improve. I didn't think I could make it all the way back, though. It's a good thing I'd fight to get 3rd place... 'cause in July I wasn't thinking 1st was possible, and I wouldn't have gotten here if I hadn't been grinding it out to catch row when I was 500 back.

A duel like this was a blast to be in, if nerve-wracking. Gotta love competition. Especially when it works out.

THREE-PEAT!

I know, I know, it's never one player. But let's say it's just a 10 point save instead of the -11 point implosion, that's a 21 point swing plus Hutch's 5 point L that Phelps got off the hook for - boom: 26 points to cover the margin of victory.

What a way to lose a league. Triple Crown season, best rookie season potentially ever, fantastic year from Edwin (who I've had every season over the last 5 but this one), great year from Reyes....and I would've survived it on the backs of some dynamite SP performances but/for the absolute dumpster fire that is Andrew Bailey.

Great season, Hutch. In July I said to myself that there's just too much offensive depth on this team for me to finish with less than the 9500 I figured I'd need to win it. I figured I could take at least 3 or 4 hits and keep on chugging. Then Ruiz, Votto, Melky and Lawrie all went down and Wright, Beltran and Andrus completely cratered. 70% of my starters over the first 4 months became complete non-factors. When my guys blew a tire, you were right there and hit the mark I figured it would take.

I did everything I could to hold that tottering mess together, it just wasn't enough. Trout handed off his "God-Mode" password to Miggy when he finally cooled a little bit and that was just enough for Hutch to blow on by.

Crap. Crap crap crap. I hate you so very much, Andrew Bailey. So very, very much.
    well when the season ends w/ such a close race, yes it can come down to 1 guy. I remember a few yrs ago I had the lead but died a slow death manly because Roy Halladay got hurt. Some guys are impossible to replace. a guy like Bailey can torpedo your season, esp late. I know because he almost cost me in my $ this yr.

I was dominating saves, ERA, and WHIP w/ a low IP max and Bailey damn near cost me $75 for a top 2 seed and then my first playoff game. Luckily I manged to overcome it but just barely due to tie-breakers which I had the edge.

Congrats Hutch. Also big props to Oz for his close finish to Hutch. It was amazing watching you all battle it out the last few weeks. I can't wait for next year and I hope to improve on my position. Well done to both of you, and of course to the threepeater.

....row

And so comes the mathematical halfway point (or so near as to make no difference). It will really be half-way on Wednesday, but I'm trying to keep us on Mondays so the splits remain meaningful and so I can !@#$ around for a few minutes before actually working on Monday mornings.

Code:
    1.               Guinea Pirates          4794    474  
    2.              GreenEggs & HAMilton        4649    409     145     
    3.              Sonic Underachievers    4348    381     446     
    3.              Hutchs Hedgehogs        4348    389     446     
    5.              Smitty`s Lumber Co.     4266    296     528     
    6.              Tennessee Jeds          4222    280  572                 
    7.              High Cards Cards        4126    350     668     
    8.              McCann's Marmots        3801    295     993     
    9.              Jobu Needs A Refill     3640    298     1154    
    10.             Blessed with Grace      3476    388     1318
    Split period ranks:

Oz
    Row
    Hutch
    24 (still wonder how this team would've done with competent mgmt all year)
    Sonic
    HC
    RBF
    Smitty
    LOB
    WW

Man, everytime WW starts to get some traction, he loses it. Much tighter grouping this week than most; a low of 280 appears to be the best we've done and a majority of the league was above 350. I'll be curious to see if the points go up or down as the season progresses. As parks heat up, will the damage done to SPs be offset by the increases in offense production? I tend to think that better pitchers (i.e. the fantasy relevant ones) can lessen the damage caused by heat more than bad pitchers, meanwhile good hitters (again, the fantasy relevant ones) are better able to take advantage of it. On balance, I would think point totals would go up a little over the last 13 weeks.

We shall see.
    Interesting to look at the point values from last year to this year.

Hutch, for as good as he's been, is a little off the pace I set through the first half last year. That said, the June I had last year was epic, so that doesn't surprise me much. The problem was that my team was bit of a house of cards last season and it toppled in August. I don't see that happening with Hutch having the most steady, dominant fantasy presence possibly since Bonds on his squad in Miggy. That guy is 5 points every single day; what a player.

Amazingly, Row was having an almost identical points season last year as Hutch is having to this point. Man, Row's team really has cratered this season and I truly never saw that coming. Kemps/Harper have been brutal losses for him.

RBF acknowledged last year as a rebuild so he's predictably improved. He's essentially stepped in to Row's spot last year.

Well, it's good to see the hill Hutch climbed last year was smaller than the one RBF or myself will have to go after this year. Even WW and HC are within the 450 point barrier that Hutch was at at this time.

But we'll need a collapse from him like I had and whoever catches him will need someone like the twin-towers of Trout and Cabrera to do some lifting. Here's hoping Puig is for real...

Considering we changed the saves value, I'm pretty much about the same as you were last year.

But you're right about the 450 points, though. Half the league is still playing for 1st place, based on last year's example. (Or at least they should be...)

8 people are within 450 of placing in the top 3. Some people seem to be napping, though...

Well sitting a no-hitter on the bench was probably not a good start if I was planning a 2nd half comeback.

!@#$

I'm still in a quasi-rebuild while trying to sneak into contention and a top 3 finish. I just don't have a lot of room for error. I've got a lot of prospect NA's and more DL guys than I'd like. I'm going to have more guys I want to keep than not.

I can not express how pissed I am that Bundy promptly got hurt and ended up w/ TJ surgery.

I'm still in a quasi-rebuild while trying to sneak into contention and a top 3 finish. I just don't have a lot of room for error. I've got a lot of prospect NA's and more DL guys than I'd like. I'm going to have more guys I want to keep than not.

I can not express how pissed I am that Bundy promptly got hurt and ended up w/ TJ surgery.
    I genuinely feel bad about that.

I mean, not bad enough to send you Fernandez or anything, but bad nonetheless.

I knew my advantage on Hutch this year had to be SP and my starters were just garbage in May. June was better, but not good enough. Unless Price, Greinke and Strasburg can get to the level Darvish was at to start the year, I just don't think I have the horses.

Oddly, however, I do think this team is better situated for the next 3-5 years than it was for this season anyway. Strasburg, Price, Darvish and Fernandez all have a lot of good years in them, as do Bruce, Heyward, Puig, Stanton, Lawrie and maybe even Castro if he remembers what he's capable of being.

I have a shitload of youth on this squad and frankly, it's a really really good team. It's just not as good as Hutch's.

Goodbye Ian Kinsler, it's been a long relationship.
    It will be interesting to a have an injury risk at ss now instead of at 2nd

QuoteOriginally Posted by LOB View Post
    Goodbye Ian Kinsler, it's been a long relationship.
    It will be interesting to a have an injury risk at ss now instead of at 2nd
    Wow. That deal almost slipped by me.

Very nice pickup. Don't suppose you'd want to send him my way? I have another super-young underachieving SS on my roster I could send ya...

I may have been hasty pulling that trade but I've got some young SS on the roster w/ big upside.

Comparing numbers Kinsler is as good if not better than Tulo and I've got a fantasy crush on Kinsler as a 2B. I probably could have gotten more but i just said fck it and pulled the trigger w/o much thought. the good BB:K ratio w/ speed and power...at 2B. I'll take it. Just wish I'd drafted Kipnis instead of Eaton. ugh Guess thats karma for screwing up the draft pick trade.

I may have been hasty pulling that trade but I've got some young SS on the roster w/ big upside.

Comparing numbers Kinsler is as good if not better than Tulo and I've got a fantasy crush on Kinsler as a 2B. I probably could have gotten more but i just said fck it and pulled the trigger w/o much thought. the good BB:K ratio w/ speed and power...at 2B. I'll take it. Just wish I'd drafted Kipnis instead of Eaton. ugh Guess thats karma for screwing up the draft pick trade.

I just hope the Cards keep Carp at 2nd for this to work for me. I wasn't parting with Ian unless the value was good in return. Kinsler misses 10-20 games a year with minor tweaks and sprains but his production when healthy. Going miss his consistent numbers.

I just hope Tulo comes back from this broken rib to continue the season he has been having. I saw a game at Coors earlier this season and his was god like. It was against the disastros but he crushed 2 of humidor balls.

The harder trigger to pull was Cmart for Rizzo. I despise having a cub on the team hoping he does great. it sucks. perhaps i just ensured Cmart a long and dominate career by trading him.

I'd have certainly made you an offer or two on Tulo. Ever since I cut him about 72 hours before he turned into a superstar, I've been wondering how to get him back.

I wasn't going to give up Votto and Santana for him (IIRC, that was the one offer we exchanged for Tulo), but I'd have tried to figure something out.

Strangely enough, I had just decided I was going to see if I could put together a trade for Rizzo or Freeman from HC. He had 2 good young 1b and I was trying to figure out if I could get a long-term replacement for Votto and make a hole for him on the keeper roster. You swooped in there before I really got started.

I think you'll be happy with the Rizzo trade and a little disappointed by the Tulo trade. Then again, I've become ungodly erratic on my trade returns over the last couple of years, so it's hard to say.

8 people are within 450 of placing in the top 3. Some people seem to be napping, though...
    Sorry. I'm trying, I really am. Working 80 hours a week and trying to plan a wedding has screwed me for about the last six weeks, but that will settle down.

QuoteOriginally Posted by Sonicblast12 View Post
    Sorry. I'm trying, I really am. Working 80 hours a week and trying to plan a wedding has screwed me for about the last six weeks, but that will settle down.
    You had mentioned before the season that it might be this way for you this year. No worries.

Moving on up. Starting to get healthy and Worth being en fuego for the last month helps. Just hope my old mule(bartolo) doesn't go the way of Braun.

I feel like I liked this season better when I was losing by 150.

Now I'm losing by 23 and am all the more perturbed by the fact that I left two Nova starts worth 85 points between them sitting on my bench because I was too concerned with drinking on a float and then a tailgate (stupid Saturday starts) to remember to check my team that morning.

I'm going to be quite upset if Hutch can't get this thing back to a 50+ point win by the end of the year. Because the outs have value in their own right, but a SO and a 35 point start carry about 40 points in surplus value between them.

Meh. You're gonna win.

One keeper injury after another.
    Batista... then Miggy (still playing hurt)... then Trout... Rosario (4 of last 5 days for wisdom teeth?)... now Edwin's probably gone for the year.
    I pick the saves for the bench and BS in the lineup. Hamels is 7-13 with a 3.45 ERA.

Meanwhile, your Mariano BS's keep turning into Ws. F this year.

Meh. You're gonna win.

One keeper injury after another.
    Batista... then Miggy (still playing hurt)... then Trout... Rosario (4 of last 5 days for wisdom teeth?)... now Edwin's probably gone for the year.
    I pick the saves for the bench and BS in the lineup. Hamels is 7-13 with a 3.45 ERA.

Meanwhile, your Mariano BS's keep turning into Ws. F this year.
    I thought about it this morning when I saw the score.

I realized that I think you're probably a little better at this than I am and this year compared to last could really prove it.

Last year my team just cratered in August and September. Injuries, bad luck, closers with friggen heart failure; the thing just came unglued. I spun every dial and pulled every lever I could think of and couldn't keep it together.

Well you're in the same boat now. You're stuck trying to plug holes in a leaky ship just as I was. But last night you got a big night from Morales because you seem to have a nack for that sort of thing. I suspect Moss will play well for you as well. If there's anybody out there that can plug and play to the finish, it's you.

Besides, it's not all sunshine and roses on my roster; still waiting on Wright and Heyward to return. The Heyward injury just kills me - the guy was finally playing how folks expected him to and then he gets hit in the damn face. Brutal.

In the end, I think I have an edge in the SP and you still have the edge in hitting (afterall, you still have Trout and Miggy). With the innings cap closing in, I'm hoping I can still use a SP edge to pull away.

If there's anybody out there that can plug and play to the finish, it's you.
    Every day I'm hustlin'...

I thought about it this morning when I saw the score.

I realized that I think you're probably a little better at this than I am and this year compared to last could really prove it.

Last year my team just cratered in August and September. Injuries, bad luck, closers with friggen heart failure; the thing just came unglued. I spun every dial and pulled every lever I could think of and couldn't keep it together.

Well you're in the same boat now. You're stuck trying to plug holes in a leaky ship just as I was. But last night you got a big night from Morales because you seem to have a nack for that sort of thing. I suspect Moss will play well for you as well. If there's anybody out there that can plug and play to the finish, it's you.

Besides, it's not all sunshine and roses on my roster; still waiting on Wright and Heyward to return. The Heyward injury just kills me - the guy was finally playing how folks expected him to and then he gets hit in the damn face. Brutal.

In the end, I think I have an edge in the SP and you still have the edge in hitting (afterall, you still have Trout and Miggy). With the innings cap closing in, I'm hoping I can still use a SP edge to pull away.
    i hate you both so hard.

Code:
    1.               Guinea Pirates          8685    110     -       8       103
    1.              Hutchs Hedgehogs        8685    22      -       3       116
    3.              GreenEggs & HAMilton        8519    28      166     7       17
    4.              Tennessee Jeds          8123    37      562     5       35
    5.              Sonic Underachievers    7983    60      702     2       19
    6.              Smitty`s Lumber Co.     7934    82      751     9       98
    7.              High Cards Cards        7769    25      916     10      50
    8.              McCann's Marmots        7258    33      1427    6       22
    9.              Jobu Needs A Refill     7207    45      1478    1       50
    10.             Blessed with Grace      6504    49      2181    4       15
    And with 12 games left we have a dead tie at the top of the standings.

I have a few more outs than Hutch, but a nominal amount really. In the end the bats are going to decide this one, I fear.

C'mon fellas, stop bleeding for just a few days please.
    Amazingly, yesterday we had 12 games left and a 1 point difference at the top of the standings...

And I wouldn't believe this if I didn't know the math to be true, but both Hutch and I have been better than we were last year. This year, with 12 games to go, we're at 8609 and last year we were both at 8685; a difference of right at 75 points. However, we both have over 100 saves that are worth 3 points/piece less than last year.

So under last year's save structure, we'd both be nearly 9,000 pts.

It really doesn't seem like it - Hutch hasn't had his murderous trio of Miggy/Trout/Encarnacion ripping it apart like he did last year (though Trout's clearly not going anywhere). I never had the obscenely hot 2-month stretch like I had in June/July of last season.

It's just been a very strange year and yet somehow we find ourselves in the exact same situation we found ourselves in last season.

Well here goes nothing...

I'd be a bit closer in this race if we had the old saves system. I'm #2 (118) behind Hutch(121) in saves. Oz is 4th (106).

Hutch has 8 more offensive games remaining than I do. I have 1 more SP start than he does (most likely). Those are both worth about 25 points so most of that crap washes out.

7 days - 90 points. There's the hill.

It may be the SP rollout that wraps it up, but does either team have enough left in the tank for that one big day that could decide it?

One more 50 point day on offense by either team could make all the difference in the world. One more 3-save day. One more CGSO. Any one of those things could wrap this sucker up.

Yet another dogfight.

You think I'm getting another 50-point day with 4 keeper hitters hurt on the bench? Even when I get a random 9-point day from one of my waiver wire subs or a save, that will be the guy sitting on my bench. All year.

Meanwhile, you bench Simmons for a week, even leaving the SS lineup slot open when both guys were in the lineup Friday, then get 2 HRs the day you put him back in. You play Mujica Wed for his save, then bench him Thurs for his blown save. That shit keeps happening every time, all year.

I'm done.
    Last edited by Hutch Fan; 09-23-2013 at 04:04 PM.

You think I'm getting another 50-point day with 4 keeper hitters hurt on the bench? Even when I get a random 9-point day from one of my waiver wire subs or a save, that will be the guy sitting on my bench. All year.

I'm done.
    I'll have to come back to you, for sure.

But I've noticed your BABIP luck has been abysmal over the last 3 days. My team, as has been the case all year, is boom or bust. They're absolutely capable of having 3 or 4 straight days with 10+ Ks.

If your BABIP equalizes a bit over the week and my guys can't start making better contact, 8-10 pts/day on offense isn't out of the realm at all.

I hate that this is how my offense ended up constructed, but I just wasn't able to build around K/BB like I'd have preferred this year. When I found production, it was generally high power/Ks guys so I had to go with it. We'll see if it can last long enough to ride this thing to the finish.

I'd be a bit closer in this race if we had the old saves system. I'm #2 (118) behind Hutch(121) in saves. Oz is 4th (106).
    It's probably selective memory, but it sure feels like the #1 team in Saves is my bench, followed by my lineup in 2nd.

Well with 4 on your bench each night and only 3 on the roster....

Y'know who's team sure looks like it should've been better - LOB. I was flipping through the pitching stats to take stock on the season and LOB's pitching is routinely at the head of the class. He's even breaking even on saves. Just looking at pitching and I figured he'd be no worse than fighting for 3rd with a shot at the top.

That team just didn't hit this season. It makes up for having no power by also not being terribly good at getting on base or swiping bags. His individual players seem to be decent enough, but as an aggregate that team didn't get it done at all at the plate.

I didn't realize just how badly his offense has held him back this year.

Amazingly, yesterday we had 12 games left and a 1 point difference at the top of the standings...

And I wouldn't believe this if I didn't know the math to be true, but both Hutch and I have been better than we were last year. This year, with 12 games to go, we're at 8609 and last year we were both at 8685; a difference of right at 75 points. However, we both have over 100 saves that are worth 3 points/piece less than last year.

So under last year's save structure, we'd both be nearly 9,000 pts.

It really doesn't seem like it - Hutch hasn't had his murderous trio of Miggy/Trout/Encarnacion ripping it apart like he did last year (though Trout's clearly not going anywhere). I never had the obscenely hot 2-month stretch like I had in June/July of last season.

It's just been a very strange year and yet somehow we find ourselves in the exact same situation we found ourselves in last season.

Well here goes nothing...
    And for posterity's sake, 4th year out of 4 where this thing was completely up for grabs with a week left in the season. Smitty gave Hutch all he could handle last season but this season was much like 2012 and 2013 - with about a week left, a virtual tie between me and Hutch.

I thought the 60+ point start he got out of Carrasco with a week left would be enough to propel him to the W but that was really the last good starting pitching performance he got until Hendricks fired a gem on runout day. Otherwise it was just a steady stream of starts like Corbin getting waxed and even Hamels giving up a 5 spot in the first inning (before rallying a bit to salvage the outing). After a damn valiant effort, putting together a starting staff with spot-starts and pixie dust, Hutch finally ran out of gas over the last week while a resurgent Stephen Strasburg carried my staff to the W.

Our respective performances would've put us both above 9900 pts on the season under our 'historic' points setting - outstanding seasons that would rank among the best in league history. The lead probably changed hands a dozen times in September alone. Another year, another dogfight...

That was some Frazier-Ali stuff there. And we'll we dancing again for a quite a while.
    Your roster is a thing of beauty.