Thread: Payjols Update

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Winning!!!!!
    Posts
    21,233
    QuoteOriginally Posted by John D View Post
    Final Score

    Orioles 3

    Angels 2

    Payjols 0-4
    Albert: They compare me to great players: Stan Musial was The Man, I'm El Hombre. Willie Mays was the Say Hey Kid, I'm the Pay Day Kid.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    26,226
    Pujols went hitless in the entire Orioles series.

    And once again, in the handful of ABs I saw against him, the Orioles where putting a heavy shift on him.

    Albert Pujols - sellout pull hitter. I can't believe teams are shifting against him and he's not able to do anything about it. That's just amazing to me.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Rock Hill
    Posts
    81,112
    QuoteOriginally Posted by Oz-iz-God View Post
    Pujols went hitless in the entire Orioles series.

    And once again, in the handful of ABs I saw against him, the Orioles where putting a heavy shift on him.

    Albert Pujols - sellout pull hitter. I can't believe teams are shifting against him and he's not able to do anything about it. That's just amazing to me.
    Oz,

    If he's really 34-35 (and there are sources in the Cardinals organization that believe this to be the case), this is normal aging.

    Of course, he'll be better than "this" at some point this season. But, I simply cannot imagine $254 million for a guy with the ceiling of a Tom Brunansky.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Winning!!!!!
    Posts
    21,233
    Pay Day Kid was 0-4. Ohnhells lose 5 zip.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    4,267
    I like the Pay Day Kid. I'm going to start using that.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    4,267
    Nice play by Marte & Carpenter.

    Edit; wrong thread, moron.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Rock Hill
    Posts
    81,112
    QuoteOriginally Posted by ilcardsfan View Post
    Pay Day Kid was 0-4. Ohnhells lose 5 zip.
    Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

    Bite me Payjols.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  8. #108
    QuoteOriginally Posted by ilcardsfan View Post
    Pay Day Kid was 0-4. Ohnhells lose 5 zip.
    Aging is a Bitch!
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Winning!!!!!
    Posts
    21,233
    QuoteOriginally Posted by $$$$$ Mr Money Bags $$$$$ View Post
    Aging is a Bitch!
    I wonder if out-clauses are in effect if it is determined that a player is older than was stated and known at time of signing?
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Rock Hill
    Posts
    81,112
    QuoteOriginally Posted by ilcardsfan View Post
    I wonder if out-clauses are in effect if it is determined that a player is older than was stated and known at time of signing?
    They could sue him for fraud.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    STL
    Posts
    1,614
    QuoteOriginally Posted by John D View Post
    Of course, he'll be better than "this" at some point this season. But, I simply cannot imagine $254 million for a guy with the ceiling of a Tom Brunansky.
    You shut your damn mouth about Brunansky! Greatest Cardinal RF'er of all time!
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Rock Hill
    Posts
    81,112
    QuoteOriginally Posted by Moon Man 18 View Post
    You shut your damn mouth about Brunansky! Greatest Cardinal RF'er of all time!
    Was trying to think of rank pull hitters with OPS right below .800

    He came to mind.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Winning!!!!!
    Posts
    21,233
    QuoteOriginally Posted by John D View Post
    Was trying to think of rank pull hitters with OPS right below .800

    He came to mind.
    Why do I hear Tom Brunansky and think of Sixto Lezcano and Scott Cooper?
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,540
    0 for his last 19 (longest streak of career), 2 Ks tonight

    Nah, he's not pressing at all.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Eureka! IL
    Posts
    14,125
    QuoteOriginally Posted by CCPMatt13 View Post
    0 for his last 19 (longest streak of career), 2 Ks tonight

    Nah, he's not pressing at all.
    Wow, I'm a little surprised that's the longest of his career.

    I hope all his mojo came from wearing the BOTB.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    19,122
    QuoteOriginally Posted by CCPMatt13 View Post
    0 for his last 19 (longest streak of career), 2 Ks tonight

    Nah, he's not pressing at all.
    And he's only walked 5 times all season. Just as a comparison, the free swing Tyler Greene has walked 4 times in half as many ABs.

    Albert is without a doubt pressing. We've seen him do it before, just never to this extent.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  17. #117
    Albert 0-3 with another 2 Ks plus one walk. BA now sitting at .222. Still no homeruns either.

    Plus the Angels lose to the Rays 3-2, adding a thick layer of icing to the cake.

    Of course the "experts" will always claim that Albert will still hit .300, with 30+ homers and 100 batted in and that he's still one of the best in the game. I bet Angels fans are already sick of hearing the averages argument and how great he'll be.

    So glad this overrated, showboating clown is officially gone.

    p.s. Looks like Izzy was back to being his old self today, pitching in one inning and walking four.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  18. #118
    QuoteOriginally Posted by TCB 6-4-3 View Post
    And he's only walked 5 times all season. Just as a comparison, the free swing Tyler Greene has walked 4 times in half as many ABs.

    Albert is without a doubt pressing. We've seen him do it before, just never to this extent.
    One interesting point about last year, is that even when he was red hot, he still never had an on base average for any month over .400, meaning his walk rate was still down from previous seasons. That was quite surprising, but I imagine it has to do with a decline in his hand/eye coordination do to aging, and swinging more at garbage pitches for the popup or groundout.

    I'm starting to wonder if, not only does he hit less than 30 homers and 100RBI this season, but also that we see 100+ strikeouts from here on out each season. It's quite possible, and knowing Albert, this will only mean more pressure added, something which he's never been great at handling. He's no longer in St. Louis either, meaning more will be expected of him by an increasingly uneasy fan base about how their team, and especially their quarter of a billion dollar Payjols is performing.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  19. #119
    Oh, and the Angels are now a whopping 8.5 games back already. Love it!
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    4,267
    QuoteOriginally Posted by $$$$$ Mr Money Bags $$$$$ View Post
    Albert 0-3 with another 2 Ks plus one walk. BA now sitting at .222. Still no homeruns either.

    Plus the Angels lose to the Rays 3-2, adding a thick layer of icing to the cake.

    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum to view images.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,658
    If Santana and Haren don't start to pitch they way they should, it's going to be a very long summer in Anaheim. Santana has given up 10 HR in 24 IP.

    Interesting quote, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but we all know Pujols is no Torii Hunter.
    "Hey, I've been there before," said Torii Hunter who went through something similar when he left the Minnesota Twins after 11 years and signed with the Angels.

    "I did feel that pressure on me. But my personality I get along with everyone so I felt like I fit in right away. And I didn't change leagues."
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/p...-pitchers.html
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,666
    Yeah it's one thing to be grumpy and hit 330, 30, 110. It's another to be grumpy and be worth less than Adam Dunn.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    19,122
    QuoteOriginally Posted by 6-4-3 View Post
    Yeah it's one thing to be grumpy and hit 330, 30, 110. It's another to be grumpy and be worth less than Adam Dunn.
    Speaking of Dunn. I was looking at stats this morning & he's struck out like 29 times in just 17 or 18 games & is on pace to strike out like 250 times
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Rock Hill
    Posts
    81,112
    If he's really 34, this could end up much more like the Vernon Wells deal than anything Alex Rodriguez ever signed.

    We can only hope.

    I can't claim to have no hard feelings.

    This is "beesebowl"
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    4,267
    QuoteOriginally Posted by John D View Post
    Oz,

    If he's really 34-35 (and there are sources in the Cardinals organization that believe this to be the case)
    I have seen that said in a handful of articles dealing with his potential contract extension over the past couple of years. It wouldn't shock me if it were true, but has anyone (be it in the organization or the media) given a specific reason? Is it just because that has been the case with a number of Domincan/Latin players over the years. The one thing that would give me pause, is the fact that he did attend High School & Junior College in the US; he wasn't someone signed straight from the Dominican & placed into the Cardinals system.

    Just wondering....
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  26. #126
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    199.9 miles east of mecca (Busch Stadium)
    Posts
    5,378

    2 theories on Pujols struggles

    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...figgins-so-far
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  27. #127
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Winning!!!!!
    Posts
    21,233
    QuoteOriginally Posted by Card fan in SWIN View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...figgins-so-far
    In that photo at the article, he looks 50 lbs lighter than he was in STL.


    Wonder why?
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  28. #128
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,658
    QuoteOriginally Posted by ilcardsfan View Post
    In that photo at the article, he looks 50 lbs lighter than he was in STL.


    Wonder why?
    Stress??


    Oops. Hope they don't need that run..
    Los Angeles - Top of 6th SCORE
    Matt Moore pitching for Tampa Bay
    H Kendrick struck out swinging.
    A Pujols singled to center, A Pujols out stretching at second.
    T Hunter singled to right center.
    M Trumbo doubled to deep right center, T Hunter scored, M Trumbo to third on throwing error by shortstop S Rodriguez.
    B Badenhop relieved M Moore.
    V Wells reached on infield single to shortstop, M Trumbo scored.
    A Callaspo struck out looking.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  29. #129
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Rock Hill
    Posts
    81,112
    QuoteOriginally Posted by stuckinla View Post
    Stress??


    Oops. Hope they don't need that run..
    They need it now.

    Didn't Payjols used to know how to run the bases?
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  30. #130
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    19,122
    A Pujols singled to center, A Pujols out stretching at second.
    After he had already gone 0-2 in the game, pushing his hitless streak to 21 ABs.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  31. #131
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Rock Hill
    Posts
    81,112
    Over now.

    Gee, that was quick.

    You would have thought they were using Ryan Franklinhausen in relief.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  32. #132
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Conway, AR
    Posts
    3,373
    QuoteOriginally Posted by Moon Man 18 View Post
    You shut your damn mouth about Brunansky! Greatest Cardinal RF'er of all time!
    I always thought Kenny Dayley looked pretty good out there during Whitey's tenure...you know, when he'd throw him out there so Worrell could face a righty between two lefties. Sometimes it was the other way around. Quite a platoon, if you think about it.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  33. #133
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,658
    It's gotta feel like they've hit bottom.

    They're now 6 - 13, just like the Cubs. Of course, the Cubs are doing it at a fraction of the cost, because Epstein & Co. are that amazing.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  34. #134
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Rock Hill
    Posts
    81,112
    QuoteOriginally Posted by stuckinla View Post
    It's gotta feel like they've hit bottom.

    They're now 6 - 13, just like the Cubs. Of course, the Cubs are doing it at a fraction of the cost, because Epstein & Co. are that amazing.
    With the start by the Dodgers, I'm assuming Payjols & Company are simply the toast of L.A.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  35. #135
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Winning!!!!!
    Posts
    21,233
    QuoteOriginally Posted by John D View Post
    With the start by the Dodgers, I'm assuming Payjols & Company are simply toast in L.A.
    Fixed it for ya, buddy.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  36. #136
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    7,963

    Friends:

    Bookmark it:

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John D
    With the start by the Dodgers, I'm assuming Payjols & Company are simply toast in L.A.
    Fixed it for ya, buddy.
    CATO

    Collaboration at it's finest...

    I luv dis place!!!
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  37. #137
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Posts
    23,762
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum to view images.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  38. #138
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    STL
    Posts
    1,614
    QuoteOriginally Posted by Sonicblast12 View Post
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum to view images.
    Well that's just fantastic.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  39. #139
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Posts
    23,762
    Yeah, good job internet.

    Albert Pujols. What a f*cking dick.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  40. #140
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Collinsville
    Posts
    15,002
    QuoteOriginally Posted by Sonicblast12 View Post
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum to view images.
    Priceless.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  41. #141
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,014
    QuoteOriginally Posted by $$$$$ Mr Money Bags $$$$$ View Post
    One interesting point about last year, is that even when he was red hot, he still never had an on base average for any month over .400, meaning his walk rate was still down from previous seasons. That was quite surprising, but I imagine it has to do with a decline in his hand/eye coordination do to aging, and swinging more at garbage pitches for the popup or groundout.
    Take a look at the difference in walks recognized as intentional.

    2010: 38
    2011: 15

    Maybe age is playing a part, but having Berkman and Holliday hitting behind him certainly made it less enticing to just put Pujols on base.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  42. #142
    Are intentional walks considered a part of the total walk count, or are they counted separately? I was wondering about this the other day.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  43. #143
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Putting the ILL in Illinois
    Posts
    20,575
    he's still not walking much and his protection in LAA has not been that good. I think he only has 6BB this yr.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  44. #144
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,014
    QuoteOriginally Posted by $$$$$ Mr Money Bags $$$$$ View Post
    Are intentional walks considered a part of the total walk count, or are they counted separately? I was wondering about this the other day.
    The former.

    BB = total base-on-balls
    IBB = intentional base-on-balls
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  45. #145
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Winning!!!!!
    Posts
    21,233
    QuoteOriginally Posted by $$$$$ Mr Money Bags $$$$$ View Post
    Are intentional walks considered a part of the total walk count, or are they counted separately? I was wondering about this the other day.
    A walk is a walk; intentional just shows you are more respected than your successor in the line-up.
    So when you are the best hitter on the planet (and they all get old and stop being the best) you get a lot of IBB. But yeah, they all count as walks.

    Something similar that I've wondered (and pretty sure I know the answer) is whether or not getting on via error counts positive in your OBP. Of course you are "on base" but that doesn't usually show any signs of your value in getting on base when you get on by accident.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  46. #146
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    20,540
    QuoteOriginally Posted by ilcardsfan View Post
    Something similar that I've wondered (and pretty sure I know the answer) is whether or not getting on via error counts positive in your OBP. Of course you are "on base" but that doesn't usually show any signs of your value in getting on base when you get on by accident.
    The answer is no.

    Reaching on an error is the same as making an out for statistical purposes.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  47. #147
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Winning!!!!!
    Posts
    21,233
    QuoteOriginally Posted by paulie walnuts View Post
    The answer is no.

    Reaching on an error is the same as making an out for statistical purposes.
    Are you sure? That is what I would think but I was told differently, I think.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  48. #148
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    20,540
    QuoteOriginally Posted by ilcardsfan View Post
    Are you sure? That is what I would think but I was told differently, I think.
    The formula OBP is:

    Hits + Walks + Hit by pitch/At-bats + Walks + Hit by pitch + sacrifice flies.

    Reaching via error adds to the denominator (since it's an AB) bot not the numerator, since it's not a hit, walk or HPB.

    So it lowers your OBP, same as a groundout or strikeout.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  49. #149
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Company Town
    Posts
    29,814

    It's gotten bad enough

    that the Angels are resorting to players-only meetings, and Torii Hunter postshots at Scioscia.

    But while I do think Scioscia has been too trigger-happy on his lineup cards, the problem really isn't managerial. When the heart of your lineup has only managed one homerun by the end of April - and that includes your shiny new $250 million slugger - you're going to struggle to win games.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

  50. #150
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    1,397
    QuoteOriginally Posted by John D View Post
    They need it now.

    Didn't Payjols used to know how to run the bases?
    Some used to call it aggressive and intelligent baserunning when he was in St. Louis. I always thought it was reckless and stupid.

    Seems some things don't change.
    Register or log in to view signatures!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •